Lemoshu Route, Mt. Kilimanjaro

djit djit
My amazing Kilimanjaro climb Dec 20, 2011
My amazing Kilimanjaro climb

Hi folks,

I owe this report to a lot of people. I suck at writing my travel experience after returning, so here is a short version of my Kili climb in March 2011 (1st to 9th).

It all started on Lonely Planet - http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1994986 .

I joined someone who booked a route that suited me at the right time for me (I wanted to summit for my birthday).

The trek was organized by Adventure Kenya Safaris -http://adventurekenyasafaris.com/, our contact was a guy named Chris.

They are a KENYAN company with a local partner in Tanzania named Castro (and running a company called Destination Kili).

Wait it's not over…

These two partners used a local outfitter: they were the one who took us up to Uhuru Peak.

But the sales and booking were managed by the Kenyan biz (I guess it's easier to wire money to Kenya than Tanzania).

Will get back to these people later.

Basically and despite this pyramidal scheme, everything went smoothly and both Chris and Castro were super nice and very helpful (they even gave me some cash due to credit card failure…)

we took the Lemosho route, 8 days route, quiet ("non-touristic"), beautiful scenery and plenty of time to aclimatize.

total was USD 1500 per person (we were a team of 4 so this is negotiable but this was a good price) excluding flights to Tz and tips (tips should be around 10 to 20% of the cost per person and are highly expected), deposit was USD 300 to be wired before flying, balance paid IN CASH and USD in Tanzania.

Included were 2 nights before the climb and one night after at the very nice Keys Hotel in Moshi (recommended, pool and quiet place).

Summit night is not that easy because you need all of the following to succeed:

drinking PLENTY of water since the beginning of the trek (2-3 liters per day)

having the right gears (camel back, breathable clothes, EXTRA WARM gloves - I froze my fingers despite 2 layers of warm gloves)

REST: sleeping well for 7 nights in a tent is not guaranteed.

Any of this point missing, you will have to fight harder: doesn't mean you're not gonna make it but it-will-be-harder.

The summit night we had a temperature of -20 / -25C: this made things more complicated…

This is Africa: your guide will be late, a couple of things may be missing but Chris and Castro were top notch and the climb was AMAZING. LIFE TIME EXPERIENCE.

We had some rain around days 4-5, other than that, the Lemosho route was fantastic. I made the photos album public on facebook, enjoy the trip :)

Rayburn1090 Rayburn1…
Great route to reach summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro Nov 20, 2011
This is a great route to reach the roof of Africa because it gives you an extra day to acclimatize on the mountain increasing your chances of a successful summit. We had great guides that took us up slow and steady. The trails are well marked and some areas are quite steep an rocky but anyone with some degree of fitness should find this route to their liking. Great views of the mountain and plateau during the whole trek especially once you ascend past the rainforest in the initial stages of the hike.
Check in area.
Rules we really should follow.
Just waiting for the check in proc…
Porters and guides getting our sup…
Mount Kilimanjaro Map