Lemongrass

3161 South Grand Ave., Saint Louis, MO, USA

Lemongrass Saint Louis Reviews

sukiyakihotsake sukiyaki…
Jul 15, 2007
Lemongrass is located right next to The King and I, another Asian eatery on that same side of the street but with a two lane road between them. If you sit in the smoking section of The King and I you can actually gaze through the window right at Lemongrass! How's that for competition! The interior decor was slightly more contemporary then it's next door neighbor, with overhead lights projecting shadows of lemongrass branches onto the light cream colored walls. Lining the opposite side was a row of blue art-deco style wall lamps.

Our waiter was a friendly gentlement who seemed to be enjoying what he was doing. Granted, we did arrive just BEFORE the lunch rush. About 15 minutes after we arrived it really started filling up with not a empty seat left in the house. There was a drink on the menu called "Longan Drink" with no description underneath its listing. I questioned our waiter on the contents of this concoction and he described it's flavor as being that of "Chinese medicine" admitting that he didn't know exactly what was in it. Who wouldn't order a drink described as such! He brought out a highball glass with a dark brown liquid on ice, with small, brown, grape sized fruits at the bottom. It really wasn't that bad, though a bit sugary tasting for me. The flavor and texture was that of a thick pepsi. The fruit at the bottom was velvety soft. I found out later that the longan is a fruit similar to lychee.

I went with Tofu with Lemongrass and Onions. It smelled wonderful. The onions were crunchy and sweet; cooked just enough to rid them of the acidic and bitter taste of fresh onions, and when the sauce was mixed with the rice it could have made a meal in itself. I must say that the tofu was a bit bland. Of course, plain tofu is bland, but I would have thought (and hoped) the lemongrass sauce would have penetrated the morsels more. After my friends filled up I tried their dishes of sweet and sour tofu and curry tofu. After swallowing the hearty, batter coated, glistening tofu ball I could see how my friend filled up so fast. The sweet a sour sauce used was good and didn't leave my teeth feeling like they were made of glass like most cheap chinese restaurants. The curry tofu, although well prepared, had a bit to much cinnamon for my liking.

Check Saint Louis Hotel Deals