Learning from my mistakes

Learning from my mistakes Reviews

lostinspace lostinsp…
Jan 29, 2008
My girlfriend and myself traveled to Kolobrzeg ( pronounced co-opsheck ) Poland last summer.

Very nice city with beautiful and safe beaches, the only down side to Kolobrzeg is very few local people speak English.

Anyway I'm not going to bore you with my recolections of our time there but I will try to make sure you dont make the same mistakes as we did.

Public transport.

Don't expect transport to be there when you land. We walked out of arivals to a rank full of taxi's, and a few small coaches, but they were all pre-book only! So check to see if there are any transport links before you fly (not an easy task when most of the web sites are either in Polish or German) And Pre-booking is risky, two men we ended up sharing a taxi with had booked, but due to coruption their seats had been taken by someone waving cash at the driver. We ended up paying 120pln to get to the nearest town and a train to our destination.

Trains are good value for money our journey of about 100 kilometers cost around £5.00 but be patient as the trains stop everywhere, stations/level crossings/middle of fields etc. They dont run to a tight scedual and the train you want can change platform several times before it arrives, and of course you wont know as the anouncement is in Polish.

Keep your eye on the time and the destination on the front of the train.

Public transport around Kolobrzeg.

Buses are the cheapest way around the town, some of the roads are in a terrible condition so make sure you have something to hold on to if your standing, but they are mainly on time and it only costs about forty pence to travel anywhere within the town.

The service runs until about midnight.

Taxi's can be used and although not expensive ( fourty pence on the bus or five pounds in a taxi) can eat into your beer tokens (easy to jump into a taxi when you've walked around town five times trying to find the bus stop) and once you work out where the bus stops are (not as easy as you may think) there is no real need to use taxi's.

Finding reasonably price accomadation in Kolobrzeg wasn't easy, there are pleanty of five star hotels etc, but the smaller privately run establishments took some finding, they either didn't advertise or the web sites were all in Polish/German.

We stopped in a guest house on a bed and breakfast basis, given the time again we could have made quite a saving by going bed only (saving about five pounds a night each) and preparing our own food in the kitchen.

Like everything new in life, you live and learn.

Would we go again?

We are allready planning it, twice this year. Once to see some friends and then take some family members for a reasonably priced holiday ( I suppose you could say at our cost )
Speak's for itself
William_R says:
Hey, I don't know how much/how often you eat out here in Kolobrzeg, but I can give you two good restaurants to eat at. One is a pizzeria, and the other is a pierogi restaurant. Both are excellent, but the pierogi place is a little expensive, although it does have really good food. And if you like good pizza for cheap (20PLN), check out the other place.
I don't have the addresses, but if you want them let me know, and I will try to get them to you.
Posted on: Oct 27, 2009
kabatiella_zeae says:
120 PLN OMG this is so expencive
well you're right Poland can be difficult if u don't speak polish, maybe it will change someday :)
Posted on: Aug 22, 2009