Leaning Tower of Pisa

050 835011

Leaning Tower of Pisa Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
A must for every traveler's itinerary Sep 29, 2012
The Leaning Tower of Pisa is one of the true icons of travel. Its very image means "travel". I have traveled extensively over time and I had been to Italy before, but I had never been to the Leaning Tower. Actually beholding this icon in person was a "wow" travel moment for me.

The story. The Leaning Tower of Pisa is officially, the freestanding Campanile (bell tower) of the Cathedral. Its design has been attributed to Diotisalvi or to Bonannus of Pisa and William of Innsbruck in 1173. The tower began to tilt after construction had progressed to the second floor in 1178 due to weak foundation soil. The bell chamber on top was added in 1372, completing the tower. The main tower was designed in Romanesque style while the later bell chamber is Gothic. I find the cylindrical design with repeating single-order colonnades to be elegant. The Campanile would be considered an architectural gem even if it had never begun to lean.

A project to shore up the tower took place from 1990 to 2001 and the tower now leans a little less than it once did. But, of course, it still has to lean! That's its charm and cachet! It is possible to climb the stairs inside the tower, but we admired it from the ground.

Tickets for the tower can be purchased individually or in combinations with the Duomo, Baptistry, Campo Santo, and museums.

Part of the Piazza del Duomo, Pisa, UNESCO World Heritage site.
Campanile, The Leaning Tower of Pi…
davidx says:
I am well aware that I am in a minority in my views!
Posted on: Nov 27, 2012
Vikram says:
TBH, I thought it looked a lot smaller than what I had imagined. I was quite underwhelmed infact, and the fact that it's next to the cathedral and smack dub in the middle of the city, it did seem a bit noisy as well.
Posted on: Nov 26, 2012
Andy99 says:
Hi, David, We'll have to agree to disagree on this one! :)
Posted on: Nov 26, 2012
Vipin Vipin
Iconic, worth a quick visit if you are in Tuscany Apr 22, 2011
The leaning tower really needs no introduction. Together with the coliseum in Rome, I am convinced that many people see the tower as a shorthand image for Italy. The work on the tower commenced in the twelfth century, and it started to tilt to an angle even before it was fully completed. The tilting is attributed to the poor foundations which the tower was built on. To get in, you pay around 15 Euros and there is a booking office which is nearby. Or you can admire the tower for free from outside. I opted for the second option. Although there isn’t much charm about the tower, I think you just have to come here to say you have been here. When I first saw it tilting out from the backdrop, it was pretty cool to see it. But after a quick glance, it’s time to move on. Also, if you get the chance, I recommend coming to see the tower at night, when it is adequately lit up and the tourist hoards have largely subsided.
Vipin says:
it depends what you're interested in! i thought that Padua, Vicenza and Verona are great towns to visit, and all are easy reach to Venice and make good day trips too!
Posted on: Aug 13, 2011
sarahsan says:
I didn´t go up either Vipin! I´m sure it is reinforced with tons of steel, but I felt safer on the ground!
sylviandavid says:
We paid and dashed up .... loved the view from the top... David is not one for heights but we took a family picture there with all three girls... one of my favorites.... It was a little high priced but I imagine they have no problems selling them....
Thank you for this nice review... sylvia
Explorer-Trivi Explorer…
Height Surprise! :-) Mar 27, 2011
It was unbelievable feeling to see the Leaning Tower, not just for the sheer inclination of it, but also the memories of this tower we all have growing up. Books, TVs, Movies, Magazines, we have seen and heard about of it everywhere. Having to see the Leaning Tower for the first time in person is a wonderful experience. But I have to say that immediately after looking at the tower, I felt that it was not as tall as I pictured it to be. May be, when I was a kid, my imagination was running wild and I created this mental picture of the Leaning Tower that reached the clouds. :-) Anyways, I then purchased the ticket to walk up the tower. After I reached the top of the tower, I realized a strange feeling in my feet. That’s when I realized that I was wrong with the tower’s height. It is high enough alright. :-) Added to that, the inclination. It’s a funny feeling. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just the feeling that you are standing on top of the leaning tower of Pisa was simply amazing!

Tip:

Before spending too much time looking at the Leaning Tower, go to the ticket booth to see when the next viewing ticket is available. I spent too much time taking pictures. When I finally went to the ticket counter to purchase the tickets, 2 batches have gone already. They only allow few to go up each batch. So I got a ticket for next available 3:30PM slot and it was only 12:00PM. I had 3 and half hours to spend before I could go up the tower. Ofcourse I spent the time walking through the area but also spent some time sitting and waiting for the time to run quickly. :-) But no complaints. You won't feel bored looking at the tower and reliving all those childhood memories of seeing the picutre of the Leaning Tower in your geography books. But it would help you to walk to the ticket counter without waiting too long. Once you purchase the tickets, you will have all the time to take pictures anyways. Enjoy!

-Trivi
sylviandavid says:
Excellent suggestion about the tickets!
katie302 katie302
A little bit smaller than I thought, but a definite must see! May 03, 2011
I'm not really sure the height I was expecting but it was slightly smaller than I had imagined. I have to admit it is a bit weird standing on top of a tower than is supposed to be tilting however going to the top is a must, the views are amazing.
sylviandavid says:
We liked it too! thanks for the review! sylvia
cotterb cotterb
Vertigo.... Mar 17, 2009
The Leaning Tower actually does visibly lean. I expected otherwise once I learned they would let you walk in.

There are several ticket offices around the Cathedral area where you can get tickets. I was there in March and the lines were non-existant but according to my reading you should get the ticket in advance by phone or internet (www.opapisa.it/boxoffice) before arriving. If you're there during a busy time avoid the main ticket office. It's so obvious that's where everyone will be. If you go down the row of peddlers you will find another ticket office a little bit hidden.

The tower costs 15€ but you can get tickets for the other sites as well here. They can be combined for a discount, but not with the tower which is always 15€.

When I went in I was stunned. The marble-stone stairs have seen so many visitors they are obviously worn. As you walk up you can fell that at some points you're actually walking up more...and then down more with gravity pulling you in to or away from the outer wall of the tower.

The experience is amazing and they let you go all the way to the top. The guidebooks say that they only allow you in with a guide which is provided, however they didn't have guides for me today and the groups were small.

Well worth the visit. While you're there take a moment to snicker at all of the people posing for pictures perfectly to look like they're holding up the tower. It's actually funnier then seeing the picture itself.
Nice review! sylvia
sasenel sasenel
The Pisa Tower Jul 11, 2009
When you visit Pisa you have to climb the leaning tower of course. It´s a heavy climb but the view on the top it´s worthwhile.

The only negative of this experience is the entrance money it´s 15 euro per person for 20 minutes visiting the tower.
View from the top
Small staircase all to the top
Of course the leaning tower
sylviandavid says:
nice photos... love the staircase one... sylvia
toddster184 toddster…
Do not spend too much time...Tourist trap Sep 18, 2008
It should have been a good warning when 3 people from my office in Milan told me to skip the Leaning Tower of Pisa and Pisa altogether. Against the suggestions, I headed to Pisa anyway complete with a hotel booking for the night and alloted a whole day to take in of what Pisa has to offer. Unfortunately, as impressive as the Leaning Tower was, that was all that Pisa has to offer. The Piazza Miraculi is in one spot with the Cathedral, the Baptistry, the Leaning Tower and 2 or 3 museums that surrounds the place. Outside the Midieval Walls, there was nothing else to see in Pisa. I arrived in Pisa early in the morning and by noon I was done with all three attractions and nothing else to do in Pisa.

Recommendations:

- Take a tour of Pisa from Florence (or wherever you are staying). You will avoid having to lug your luggage around and checking into a hotel for no reason. Spend a good morning in Pisa, go to Sienna for the afternoon or the Mediterranean Sea to watch the sunset, then head back to your originating town. It is not worth checking out of your hotel/hostel and allow a whole day to spend in Pisa. There is much more to see in Italy than the Leaning Tower.

Tips:

- Get a ticket to the attractions. As soon as you walk in the piazza, the museum to the right has the tickets and you can get packages of the ones you wish to see. Do not go directly to what you want to see ad you will be turned away unless you have a ticket. I bought 2 museums, the Baptistry and the Cathedral tickets without the Tower for a little over 15 or 18 Euro. The Leaning Tower itself is seperate for 15 Euro and you can only go up at a specific time stated on your ticket.

- There is nothing to see at the top of within the tower. At the top are the bells and if you have a good zoom on your camera, that is pretty much it. You can't get out of the 2 other floors that has access outside as they are under renovations.

- Take a picture of yourself pushing the leaning tower or pinching it, or pushing it with your finger. Don't feel stupid...everybody does it.

- Be careful of the people who sell counterfit items like belts, sunglasses, bags, toys and so on. They can do a dash and run especailly when they spot a cop as it is illegal.
fun review... thank you.
tm16dana says:
cool :-)
Butterfly971 says:
I'm agree with you!!
CFD CFD
Mar 21, 2007
As the other people have said.. Its worth doing if you are in the area.. Its nothing to do here, but just to go up in the tower and brag about that you have been there to your son when he have geography in school (we learned about the leaning tower in school)..

But.. This is a tourist trap. Booring
sylviandavid says:
We actually liked it... and loved the cemetary that is behind the tower... so many crusader graves... really interesting..
petrarchanprincess petrarch…
May 26, 2006
I think everyone who is capable should climb the leaning tower at least once, you'll never know if you'll be able to again! They constantly monitor the steadfastness of the structure and won't let you up if it's not safe. I suggest making arrangements and scheduling your tickets ahead of time because they only let you up in shifts of about 20 min each and you can only go up with about 10 or so other people. If you just show up and try to get tickets, you could end up waiting a really long time. Also, don't go to the tower to buy tickets, go to the area where you check your purses (you can't bring them up with you) and buy your tickets there.
Nice review! Sylvia
CFD says:
Good review about the leaning tower , its a real tourist trap.. But its really nice to say that you have been there :D
Posted on: Mar 21, 2007
dlazzaro dlazzaro
Nov 29, 2005
I finally saw the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa on my last trip to Italy during the summer of 2005. The tower itself leans a lot -- I expected the effect to appear minor, but in fact it's really dramatic. Tons of people surround it, some posing for pictures, some lying in the surrounding grass, and some just browsing the nearby open-air market. All-in-all, its a pretty impressive sight.The problem is that there is almost nothing else to do in Pisa......We found a nice restaurant nearby with a view of the Tower, but after taking a few pictures and eating, we quickly found ourselves bored. To ease the pain, we chatted with a few attractive university students who were lying on the grass, but eventually they had to leave, and that's when we decided the city really didn't have much to offer.Bottom line, it's worth seeing once, but don't plan to spend an entire day in Pisa.
good review... thanks
foolz0r says:
DON'T FORGET- reallllly good gelato in Pisa... definitely worth a stop.
Posted on: Dec 01, 2005
Eric says:
Haha. Nice review. Some of my friends went to go see the tower when we were passing by Pisa on train. They just hopped off to get a quick look at the tower, then got on the next train outta there.
Posted on: Nov 29, 2005

Related Travel Blogs About Leaning Tower of Pisa

Pisa - Only One Fabulous Field of Miracles
  Pisa - Only One Fabulous Field of Miracles   American country singer, T.G. Sheppard, wrote and recorded a tune in 1981 that discussed the uniqueness of the Leaning Tower of Pisa a…Leaning Tower of Pisa and other one-of-a-kind things.   A self-described vagabond, Sheppard once…
Pisa
The next morning left for Pisa. The day being 25th Dec the hotel mngr packed some Xmas cake for us. Really nice fellow, spoke perfect english and helped us a lot in getting the missing luggage from M…Pisa (Leaning Tower of Pisa) was visible in its full glory, fighting a battle with gravity. Breathtaking. It is situated…
Leaning Tower of Pisa
My tour guide told us about his time going to Pisa, he said " i spent 2 days in pisa and it was 47 hours and 30 minnutes too long" i was shocked to hear this. Then once we got off the bus and started…Leaning Tower of Pisa and a few shops. THATS ALL!!! so the group spent most of the time trying…

Check Pisa Hotel Deals