Le Relais Louis XIII

www.relaislouis13.fr - +33 (0) 1 43 26 75 96

Le Relais Louis XIII Paris Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Dinning like a king at Louis XIII Mar 23, 2016
France is famous for its great food hence a visit to Paris really isn’t complete without a visit to at least one great restaurant. The choice for the great restaurant felt on Relais Louis XIII which was fairly close to our hotel and had some good reviews as one of the cheaper restaurants with Michelin stars. Hence just after booking the hotel I found this place as a good option in the neighborhood and quickly booked to make sure we would be able to get a table. It turned out I didn’t really need to book far in advance since the restaurant was pretty much empty on a Wednesday night - which apparently had been the case ever since the terror attack struck central Paris in November.

We are quickly greeted by the staff - which isn’t overworked given the limited number of guest. The room is quite nice in an older building with exposed wooden beams inside the room. There is good space between the tables so you are seated with a great deal of privacy. It seemed like most of the guest (if not all) were foreigners many of whom had limited French ability. Despite the large number of foreign guest the menu was only printed in French. Given my French is fairly limited the name of the dishes on the menu is a bit over my language ability. Fortunately the waiters speak good English and they are happy to translate the menu so the costumers know what they can get to eat - though I can’t help wonder why they don’t make English menu given the large number of foreign clients.

You can choose between three different menus a 3 course inspiration menu where you choose three courses from the restaurants best dishes through its time of operation or you can go for the 7 course tasting menu which serves smaller portions including a couple of the dishes from the inspiration menu. Or you can go with the full 10 course signature menu. Since we are only staying in Paris for one night and probably won’t be back to this restaurant again in the foreseeable future the choice seems easy - just go for the full menu. The restaurant has a pretty extensive wine list and in addition to this they offer wines by the glass which is probably a better option so you can match the wines with the different dishes.

Before the first course we get a bit of cheese bread which is actually nice with a glass of champagne. The service during dinner is going at a pretty good pace. There is just enough of a break between the different dishes so you can relax and chat a bit before the next dish is coming - and not so much of a break you go hungry for waiting.

After the last starter they served a small sorbet which was the only dish I found a bit strange to include in the menu since it wasn’t really a dish and just a little refreshment before the main dish so it should just have been an extra dish outside the menu.

A bit interesting is after the main dish when the waiter asked if we wanted cheese. This gave course to a bit of confusion since we thought the cheese was a part of the menu. Indeed cheese was a part of the menu but the waiter had been instructed to always make sure the guest actually wanted to have cheese. Finally after the cheese came along two desserts which made sure we were very full when leaving the restaurant to walk the short distance back to our hotel.
The restaurant from outside
The cheese bread
Bread
The first starter
tj1777 says:
yes it was expensive more than 100€ if I remember correctly.
Posted on: Mar 06, 2017
Jo104 says:
fantastic review was it pricey?
Posted on: Mar 06, 2017
aloneinthecrowd says:
Congrats on your review being featured, Mickey :)
Posted on: Apr 22, 2016
gingerbatik gingerba…
Romance and Ambience Mar 23, 2016
The restaurant called “Relais Louis XIII” like the famous King in France who ruled France from 1610 to 1643. The restaurant located in the heart of 6th arrondissement of Paris, on the remains of the Couvent des Grands-Augustins, the very place where Louis XIII was proclaimed King of France in 1610.

When we enter the restaurant, nobody at the reception area and we have to wait a little bit until someone coming and confirming our reservation, which I found a little odd especially at the high end dining establishment like this. After that the staff take our coat and when I decided to keep and bring my own coat to the table, and hang it on my chair, the staff told me off, and said the chef would not be happy. At that time I was a bit cross with the waiting staff and ready to leave the restaurant and go somewhere else, since we were going to be parted with our $$$$$$ and treated that way. First impression count and I believe customer is a King and has to be treated well.

After settle down, we had our champagne and we had their full tasting menu which consists of 10 small dishes with wine matching.

While waiting for the food to arrive at the table, I have time to observe the room and surrounding. It appears the restaurant was quite small, it only has six tables at the ground floor and only five tables occupied for the whole night (including my table). Unfortunately the table put close to each other and we can actually see other people food and hear people talking, and at one time, I exchanged greeting with the other table.

The restaurant’s interior itself very interesting with old stones and noble wooden beams on the roof, engravings, portraits of Louis XIII and Marie de Medicis, stained glass windows and antique Louis XIII style chairs which is not that comfortable to sit on.

Only one free snack served before the tasting menu start – which is a new thing for me especially for the two Michelin award restaurant and only two waiting staff serve the entire tables.

The best thing is the dishes served was delicious and plentiful with full flavour of the seafood - fish and lobster, and tender and juicy meat. By the fifth course, I was a bit full and luckily I managed to finish the whole courses.

Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed with the Chef Signature dessert, oh God…… I wish the Chef make better dessert than what was served. I did not find it tasty or good, and the dessert was very brittle and make a mess when I eat it. I also noticed, the other 3 tables next to me did not eat the dessert either – so probably they did not find it interesting or tasty either.

I love all the meal except the dessert and the service, since the waiter asked the tip to us when we paid the bill and also to the other table, – which is a no no in my book, especially in this kind of establishment. Tip is a discretion and not to be asked loudly. For the total cost over €500 for the meal with this kind of service, I probably would not be back here. However, if you have money to spend, this is highly recommended as the food is really good.
the restaurant building
the menu
our table with cheese bread
our table with bread