Le Procope

Le Procope  - The stairs inside

Le Procope Paris Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Restaurant Le Procope Aug 20, 2009
Restaurant Le Procope is one of the oldest restaurants of Paris; it is situated in rue de l'Ancienne Comédie, 6th arrondissement very close to Boulevard Saint-Germain.

The restaurant was opened in 1686 by the Sicilian Francesco Procopio dei Coltelli, with a slightly subversive name adopted from the historian Procopius, who’s Secret History, the Anekdota; told the scandals of Emperor Justinian, his ex-dancer Empress, and his court.

For more than two centuries everyone who was anyone (or who hoped to become someone) in the worlds of the arts, letters and politics, frequented the Le Procope; Voltaire came here, and Rousseau; Beaumarchais, Balzac, Verlaine and Hugo; from La Fontaine to Anatole France.

The list of the habitues of the PROCOPE is a list of the great names in French literature. It was here in the 18th century that the new liberal philosophy was expounded; this was the cafe of Encyclopedistes, of Diderot, Voltaire, d'Alembert and Benjamin Franklin.

The history of the PROCOPE is closely linked with eighteenth century revolutionary ideas. Robespierre, Danton and Marat used the cafe as a meeting place, and the young lieutenant Napoleon Bonaparte left his hat here as a pledge.

The restaurant was really nice, I must say and we ended up having a great meal with great wines, like Chabls Laroche. I had the large fruit de mer or a so called ½ Plateau Royal,and really enjoyed that I could order a single portion. We were quite pleased when we left the restaurant 4 hours after we entered. We took a taxi and headed back to the area of our hotel to find a café and some night life.

It was definitely a place I can visit again.
Outside from the main street
Inside at the entrance

Related Travel Blogs About Le Procope

24h in Paris on our way to Barcelona and Lyon
I was on a quick holiday with my friend Jacob who had flew down to Brussels in order to join me for a 5 day holiday in Brussels, Paris, Barcelona and Lyon. The first day we partied in Brussels and we…Le Procope before but felt that this was the time. Café Procope is one of the oldest restaurants of Paris
Back in the lovely Paris
We had been driving to the hotel from Brussels in less than 3 hours and Paris was now there just in front of us. The hotel looked from the okay but we had our doubt, as one often had in Paris. There …Le Procope before but felt that this was the time. CafĂ© Procope is one of the oldest restaurants of Paris

Check Paris Hotel Deals