Le Paradis S. Hotel

Check Cap-Haitien Hotel Deals

Le Paradis S. Hotel Cap-Haitien Reviews

deidretan deidretan
Awesome Hotel, Excellent Location, Western Luxuries Sep 09, 2014
I just came back from a amazing 4-night stay at the Le Paradis in Cap-Haitien. I can say with confidence that this boutique hotel is a the perfect oasis for any traveler, and especially a first-time traveler to Haiti. When I started to research hotels for my trip, I came across this hotel, and then contacted them via email to ask about price, rooms, etc. The General Manager Mr. Evans (who I found out is based in Haiti & Miami) replied to me and let me know all the options. I found this so convenient to have a point of contact to ask all my questions. Additionally, I was also able to pay for the hotel stay up-front in full to the hotels' Bank of America bank account.. this was a relief for me to do this, as I was worried to bring a lot of cash with me, as credit card use is very rare in Haiti. They email me a pro-forma invoice and once I paid, I emailed my deposit slip to the hotel, and they sent me back a paid in full receipt. I was also requested to bring the original bank deposit slip with me and gave this to the on-site Manager Ms. Ruth upon check in.

I arrived to Cap-Haitien at about 10am and checked straight into my room, The hotel is small and intimate, and modern. There is no elevator in the building, just stairs, and the room I had was right at the top of the first flight of stairs, overlooking the inside garden courtyard on the ground floor. The room was large (I had Room #17) which has a huge King-Sized Bed, a separate bathroom, a wall-mounted flat screen TV, a small fridge and complimentary tea/coffee (of course with all your usual hotel room furniture). The room was also air-conditioned and had a ceiling fan - very important for those travelers who cant handle the heat (like me!... however please note - there is no where else in the hotel that has air conditioning). During the day the electricity will turn off for some items (like the AC) for a little while (about an hour) and this is normal in Haiti, so don't stress! Also, included in the room rate, is daily breakfast (yummy!) and WiFi access. Every where in and around the hotel was clean, and every day i received housekeeping with fresh sheets and towels. There are no telephones in the room, but this didn't bother me, and whenever the hotel staff needed to contact me, they would knock at the door. It was weird at first (as they would come to the room to tell us breakfast is ready) but after the first couple of days, i was used to it, and felt it added a personal touch to their service.

And speaking of service, every one was very polite and accommodating. The staff spoke limited English, and the breakfast/dinner menu was in French, so had I been by myself, it would have been a very difficult to say what i wanted, however luckily my Haitian friend was with me and could translate and/or converse with them! We had the same staff members at breakfast every day, also for the cleaning of the rooms and at the front desk, so i became very familiar with them. As a bonus for the safety of hotels guests, there is a 24-hour security guard at the hotel. (They would never leave their post at the entrance of the hotel).

The location is perfect! Right in the center of town, and only a couple of short blocks away from the famous Cathedral. Cap-Haitien is a very busy, spread out city. The streets are walk-able (just look where you step and watch out for the cars and motorcycles!) and you will never find yourself alone anywhere. The Haitian people are very kind, and very curious. Being a "white girl" walking around with my Haitian friend, I would be stared at by everyone (I didn't mind this at all). In the 5 days I was there, it was only twice did a see another foreigner. You will hear the locals say (or yell out) "blan" which means "white".. don't get offended, Okap has not been exposed to outside tourism as much as other places, so its very rare to see a foreigner, especially in the center of town. But I like this fact, purely because the experience is far more richer than if i were somewhere congested with tourists.

Taxi's are very easy to find around town (both car and motorcycle taxis) and the hotel is only about 15 minutes or so away from the airport. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Cap-Haitien. If you want to be immersed in local life and be in the center of everything, but still be able to retreat back to the comforts of a western-like hotel.... then Le Paradis S Hotel is your choice. It was easy to book, easy to pay, clean & comfy rooms, yummy food, nice staff, great location, and it was a completely stress-free experience. After I departed, the GM Mr. Evans contacted me via email with a thank you note - awesome! Why would you NOT want to stay!? :)

Here are some tips for Cap-Haitien:

1. Bring lots if $1 bills - its customary to give $2 to each person who handles your bag

2. Be careful of pricing in stores - they have 3 currencies - Gourdes, Haitian Dollars & US Dollars.

3. Keep USD$60 in your passport for the return home - The departure taxes at the airport are USD$60 each person which MUST be paid in order for you to leave.

4. There are no "touristy" places in Okap, just real life, so don't expect to find souvenirs.

Check Cap-Haitien Hotel Deals