Le Grand Courlan Resort Black Rock

Check Black Rock Hotel Deals

Le Grand Courlan Resort Black Rock Reviews

es1418 es1418
We Need to Create Negative-star Ratings for Places Like This... Jun 16, 2011
Summary: This was the worst hotel I’ve ever visited. I’ve never seen a place managed more poorly.

That’s the gist of it; the rest of this review is a detailed explanation of just how bad the hotel was.

We’ll begin with the letter I wrote to the Grand Coulan’s Executive Director – which I also forwarded to the Trinidad and Tobago Ministry of Tourism.

Dear Ms. Galbaransingh,

In all my years of travel this is the first l time I've experienced service so bad that I've felt obliged to write a letter about it. Our wedding party of eleven (including the bride and groom) arrived at Le Grand Courlan Spa Resort on Monday, June 13. We departed the morning of Thursday, June 16, and the evening before the groom reviewed with the Manager a multi-page list of complaints compiled from the members of our groups. Here are just a few of the more serious problems I personally observed.

The reservation desk displayed a complete lack of organization, the likes of which I have never before seen - it took approximately two and a half hours before we were all finally situated in our rooms. I’ve seen hotels experience various staffing issues and even a complete failure of an electronic reservation system and yet perform much better. We were told the problems were was to a large convention recently being held at the hotel, but the staff’s inability to access basic information and make decisions made it plain this wasn’t a rare occurrence. After some time the staff eventually called for the Manager, and even after she came it was about another hour before everything was resolved.

However, the truly disturbing thing was that it seemed the hotel had been operating in this manner for some time, and that excuses and lies were routinely used to mollify guests. During check in I had a question about my room that I wanted to resolve immediately so there wouldn’t be any confusion when I checked out. The reception staff seemed anxious to get rid of us, and I was asked to go to my room and was told I'd receive a call about the matter - I wasn’t terribly surprised that the call never came. I also stopped by the front desk one evening to request that I be notified when sea turtles were spotted on the beach. I was assured I would be added to the list of people to be notified but I received no call, and the next morning there were fresh turtle tracks on the beach almost directly in front of my room. It's possible the reception desk wasn't alerted to the turtles’ appearance, but I don’t think anyone was available to receive the notification. I typically rise around 3:30 am, and twice during my stay I woke and went to the lobby area to find no one present - even the front guard gate was unattended. I hope Tobago’s crime rate is low, because anyone could have walked off the street straight into the hotel and had the complete run of the place.

I could go on at length, but I believe you get the idea. This isn’t a rancorous letter, nor do I seek an apology or compensation. I just fear that Le Grand Courlan can harm Tobago tourism by causing its visitors to avoid future trips to Tobago, and by encouraging them to warn their friends and family to do likewise. Therefore I am sending a copy of this letter to the Ministry of Tourism in the hope that together you can help Le Grand Courlan to change its business practices.

Regards,

Eric Simms

My visit to Le Grand Courlan was made worse by the fact that the resort was so beautifully designed and could have been an amazing place. Unfortunately Its customer service consisted of lies wrapped in hopeless resignation and covered with apathy. I felt sorry for some of the employees who had the trapped look of people laboring under oppressive incompetence; as a consultant I’ve known that feeling many times.

The lobby featured a visitor suggestion box which I took to be Management’s sense of humor because I couldn’t believe for a moment that anyone was even trying to heed the suggestions, if they read them at all.

Some in our party had to fight for the ocean view rooms they paid for, as the staff tried to place them in garden view rooms. This didn’t make any sense because the resort was all but empty. I barely saw any other guests. Of those we saw one couple from Britain had planned their trip two months in advance, and when they arrived the hotel had no record of them.

I consider myself to be an undemanding guest; I prefer to sleep in tents instead of five-star hotels (most of the time). However, I cannot abide disorganization, especially when there's no excuse for it. We were joking about how we could take over the hotel and manage it better, and I have no doubt we could have.
Such a beautiful place, but so hor…
Two of the registration desk staff.
Oh Grand Courlan! How you have br…
es1418 says:
I wish I had the money to buy the place and make it live up to its potential.
Posted on: Jul 05, 2011
HuBison says:
Aww man, sorry to hear that this place was so beautiful, but so miserable.
Posted on: Jul 04, 2011
es1418 says:
My pleasure, Eric. We TBers have to look out for one another whenever we can. :)
Posted on: Jun 30, 2011

Le Grand Courlan Resort Black Rock Overview

The Le Grand Courlan Resort Black Rock is located within a 20 minute walk to the town heart and offers an outdoor pool, tennis courts and a day spa.

For the comfort and safety of guests, the Le Grand Courlan Resort Black Rock offers non-smoking rooms. Leisure options at the resort include a steam room, a jacuzzi and a sauna. The resort features meeting rooms, a business centre and a laundry service. The resort's spa includes massage services and a hair salon. Facilities at the resort include a beauty centre, a concierge and conference room(s).

All rooms feature a private bathroom including a bathrobe and amenities. The rooms offer cable / satellite channels, a TV, a safe and include excellent views of the ocean. Wireless internet is available throughout the resort, ensuring you'll have no trouble keeping connected during your stay. Each room is well-equipped to make your stay comfortable and offers a refrigerator, tea and coffee making facilities and a coffee maker.

Guests wishing to socialise can take advantage of the Le Grand Courlan Resort Black Rock's bar, located on-site for your convenience.

Dwight Yorke Stadium is within easy driving distance of the Le Grand Courlan Resort Black Rock. Staff at the front desk are available to assist you with any resort enquiries you might have or with your travel needs. Arthur Napoleon Raymond Robinson International Airport (TAB) is a 20 minute drive away.

Le Grand Courlan Resort Amenities

• Fitness Facilities
  • Jacuzzi
  • Steam Room
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes