Le Château de Barbentane

33(0)490955107

Le Château de Barbentane Reviews

bernard69 bernard69
The most Italian of the châteaux of Provence Aug 28, 2011
Coming back to some places of my childhood,I discover this lovely castle still owned and inhabited by the Marquis de Barbentane.

Built startly in 1674 by Paul François de Barbentane,premier consul of Aix-en-Provence,it was only completed at the end of the 18th century.

Recalling the architecture of Ile de France stately homes and remaining faithful to the rules of Classicism,it is said to be "the Petit Trianon of the Sun".

It is one of the rare French castle having miraculously survived the 1789 French Revolution thanks to Hilarion de Puget,Marquis de Barbentane who joined as general the French Revolution.

It is to Pierre Balthazar du Puget,Marquis de Barbentane and Louis XV's ambassador for Florence that we owe the somptuous decoration with stuccos and marbles of the reception rooms(Italian style)filled with fine PERIOD Louis XV and Louis XVI furniture not forgetting 2 bureaux(desk) Mazarin.I was impressed by a splendid and rare painted Provençal chest(NO PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED).

Its internal architecture is unique in particular the ceilings with lowered vaults(a speciality of the Franque family in Avignon,stone-cutters and architects).

The castle is surrounded by terraces(Italian style) lined with balustrades and sculptures open onto a park with three hundred plane trees from Turkey.

Guided tours from Easter to 1st November:10 to noon and 2pm to 6pm everyday except Wenesdays.Open everyday in July,August and September.Tours last 45 mn.

Prices:adults:7,50 euro,children and groups 5,50

more info in French: http://compagnonnage.info/blog/blogs/blog1.php/2010/07/28/voutes-plates-chateau-barbentane
closer
Château de Barbentane still inhab…
X_Drive says:
I allowed her to say that, Bernard, cause I'm the Boss!! :D
Posted on: Sep 13, 2011
Hummingbird says:
That quote from Woody Allen is so true in so many happy homes, including ours, Bernard!! hehe :)
Posted on: Sep 13, 2011
bernard69 says:
@X-Drive:I'm also glad for you both!
I like this Woody Allen quote:"In my house,I'm the boss,my wife is just the decision maker"
Posted on: Sep 12, 2011