Laurel Caverns

2 Skyline Drive, Farmington, PA, USA

Laurel Caverns Farmington Reviews

Zagnut66 Zagnut66
Laurel Caverns Sep 30, 2013
Having never heard of this place before the onslaught of roadside ads hit me while driving through the Laurel Highlands, I decided to check it out on a whim. The parking lot was nearly empty and I figured it must be closed for the season, but the front door was open so in I went. It took a few minutes for the tour guide to finish cleaning the bathrooms, which gave me time to take some photos from the observation deck. Since no one else showed up, I ended up with a private tour.

Only a portion of the cavern is covered in the regular hour-long tour. There are extended group tours that must be booked in advance to go deeper, as well as wall climbing excursions and other cave things to do. About a third of the tour was made up of sales pitches for these activities, which became tiresome. There are no stalactites or similar cool-looking formations due to the geology of the rocks, though I don't remember enough to explain it. At one point they put on a light show timed to Handel's Messiah, the kind of cheesy thing that apparently is mandatory in cave walks.

There is some uphill walking and stair climbing to return to the surface, but if you like exploring caves you're probably used to it. I've seen more interesting underground caverns, but this is the largest cave in Pennsylvania and something that children would enjoy. There is the requisite gift shop and a miniature golf course if you are so inclined.
Packed parking lot
Visitor center
I think it is named after the guy …
Viewing deck shot
stefmuts says:
The cave activities might be fun!
Posted on: Jul 08, 2014
joseph98 says:
Great views from the viewing deck at least!
Posted on: Oct 05, 2013
cotton_foam says:
my kids would love it!!
Posted on: Oct 04, 2013
Aditu Aditu
Aug 15, 2007
Laurel Caverns has been around as long as I can remember, it's one of those places that you drive by all the time or have been to as a kid but don't really appreciate until you're older. The site is situated on 435 acres and the cavern itself is Pennsylvania's largest. There are guided tours that last for 55 minutes and they take you by all the major points of interst in the cave. In addition to the 55 minute guided tours there are also caving tours, rappelling and mini-golf. Laurel Caverns also has merit badge programs for the Boy and Girl Scouts. The cost of the 55 minute tour is $ 10.00 with a 10% discount with the AAA card, it is located roughly 50 miles south of Pittsburgh, PA.
Inside the cavern.
The view from the outside.
Tight squeeze.
Aditu says:
Wow, that sounds complicated and hard. Are the fish you find down there albino or is that just a Hollywood myth? How do you track their movements? Sorry, I just find this whole subject really fascinating!! I mean why those caves in those areas?
Posted on: Oct 01, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Laurel Caverns

Laurel Caverns
     During my recent vacation to Europe we were talking to some wonderful people from Australia and the conversation got onto what would you recommend someone to see around where…      During my recent vacation to Europe we were talking to some wonderful people from Australia and…

Check Farmington Hotel Deals