Latvian Ethnographic Open-Air Museum

Riga, Latvia

Latvian Ethnographic Open-Air Museum Riga Reviews

Marjis Marjis
Latvian Ethnographic Open-Air Museum Aug 20, 2012
Honestly, this place was a bit of a letdown. I went there a bit outside of the usual tourist season, I don't know, but maybe this affected a bit. The exhibitions were good and what was a big plus was that there was English info avaible. When I bought my entrance ticket (which was only 2.50 latis) they gave me an English map. There also was at least German and Italian maps avaible. And all the buildings had an info board with Latvian, Russian and English on them. So, unlike some other Latvian museums I visited, here I could understand everything. Also a plus for all the benches around the place.

Now for the complaints. Firstly, the distance between the buildings. I can't even imagine the amount of kilometres I walked. Some were very far apart from each other and there was nothing but forest in between them. Also it was a bit confusing to get around. Few times I ended up walking through some very narrow forest paths (one time it wasn't even a path really) that I'm not even sure you were suppose to go on to. Someone who isn't good with maps could get lost in there as the map wasn't very good. Secondly, the staff was really not into it. They were wearing old style clothes, but the mood was absolutely wrong. One woman was eating her lunch inside one house, other woman was talking to her cellphone inside other house and one other woman was actually doing what she was suppose to (she was in the role of the weaver and she was using the weaving machine), but she looked at me like she just wanted me to go away. Seriously brang down the atmosphere. Though one nicer woman tried talking to me, but she only spoke Latvian.

Lastly, but most importantly: most of the houses were locked! It was pretty dissapointing to walk all the way there only to find a lock on the door. I think at least half of the time I was greeted by a lock. I'm guessing this was because it wasn't a tourist season, but I payed the full price so I should have been able to experience the whole place. I almost asked to have half of the ticket price back!

If you are going, I recommend going there on a tourist season. And with good shoes. I spend there somewhere between 3 and 4 hours, also saw a couple coming and leaving on the same bus as I, so I guess this is a good estimate on how long going through the place takes.

You can get there at least on the bus number one. The bus stop's name is Brivdabas muzejs. You can check the bus schedule and stops on
jl_ghs316 jl_ghs316
Really nice outdoor museum of old buildings Sep 03, 2012
This was my first ethnographic museum so I didn't really know what to expect. I was completely impressed with the museum though. In short, it is a large outdoor park with a lot of old farm buildings that have been brought from around Latvia. There was anything from windmills, to fishing camps, to hay barns and everything in between. I went on a Monday and there were only a few workers dressed up in costume. I don't think many spoke English. On Saturdays supposedly there is a lot more actors that come out to answer questions and portray period people. The museum was very easy to get to from the center of Riga by either bus or tram. This would be a great museum to take kids to on a nice Saturday!
fishing huts