Las Caletas

Drake Bay, Costa Rica
Las Caletas - I came back from a hike to find this guy in my room
Las Caletas - Boat ride from Sierpe through the mangrove forest
Las Caletas - I think this is called a crested guan (not sure...photo taken through telescope)
Las Caletas - Wet landing at las caletas
Las Caletas - Top Story of 'honeymoon suite'

Check Drake Bay Hotel Deals

Las Caletas Drake Bay Reviews

keef_mon keef_mon
Jan 29, 2008
This is the first review I have written. The first place that came to mind was Las Caletas. It is a small family owned and operated lodge on the Osa Peninsula close to drake bay. The owners speak several languages fluently.

Everything about this place has stuck in my memories. Getting there was one of the best experiences. After landing in Palmar Sur and taking a taxi to Sierpe we got on a small boat with David (One of the owners) and took off down the river.

Very quickly the river turns to mangrove forest... this boat ride was one of the most memorable. After following the river to the sea and continuing for an hour or so we finally arrived at las caletas. I remember the boat engine shutting off but still hearing a loud noise from the cicadas. (I honestly thought it was the boat for a second)

Jolanda (davids wife) met us on the beach and made us feel very welcome. Almost as if we were family. Las caletas it self is beautiful. It ties into the natural landscape very well and doesn't look like your average resort. They are powered by solar and hydro power so you dont see, smell, or hear any annoying generators. (Other resorts in the area have them)

There are a few small lodgings on there property. They are spaced out well and provide privacy. My dad and I had the honey moon suite located in the back of the property far from everyone else and very close to primary forest. Every morning I would wake up to the sound of the howler monkeys.

Meals are included with price of lodging ($75pp) and were very good. They even offered to pack me a lunch for my day hikes. The kitchen and main lodge area are combined and is a very friendly communal area. There is communal fridge stocked with beer and soda. Everything is on the honor system.(Take a beer... write it down!)

They only have 10 guests or so at a time, so service is very excellent. They can arrange for many tours in the area. Hiking in corcovado, diving on cano, etc.

I would recommend this place to almost everyone. The people i wouldn't reccomend it to would be happier in a best western. This place is so wonderful I am going again in a week or so.
Boat ride from Sierpe through the …
Wet landing at las caletas
Top Story of "honeymoon suite"
I came back from a hike to find th…

Check Drake Bay Hotel Deals