Las Brisas del Ucayali

Ucayali, Lima, Peru

Las Brisas del Ucayali Lima Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
Tasty food from the rain forest in Lima - Las Brisas del Ucayali May 05, 2009
Lima is a gastronomic capital, but I was still missing a place where I could get tasty rain forest's food. I have gone to a restaurant and heard about a quite fancy other, but wanted to find the real stuff. Then I heard about a small place in an open market in Surco. It was recommended by a famous local chef and also a friend who is from the rainforest told me about it.

Craig was in town and since he wasn't going to the rainforest, I thought it'd be a great idea going to this place and I wasn't wrong :P

First of all this place is about locals, located in an open market, don't expect anything fancy. It's a small corner with few seats and you eat while the cooks are working in front of you.

All the food you'd find there is from the rainforest, basically made with plantain, chicken, rice, yuca, fish, etc. The things you have to try are:

-Tacacho: mashed plantain

-Juane: rice & chicken wrapped by a plantain leaf

-Cecina: local bacon

-Camu camu juice: refreshment from a local fruit

among others.

They will give you some complimentary "chifles" banana chips, really tasty, and you can eat them with the "aji charapita" a typical chili made with chopped cocona (tropical fruit), yuca (similar to potato), onion, charapita chili. So delicious!!!

The owner is a lady who is always there and ready to help to the customers. When we were there, she gave us a sample of another dish. She's a really nice woman, who wants to share the tasty food of her hometown. The cooks are at same time the waiters and they are very helpful.

Rainforest's food is not very popular in Lima YET, but I think I'd become a frequent customer here :) As their slogan says: "Who tries it, don't leave it!"
their menu
the cook / waiter
yadilitta says:
sure I did it and... loved it! If you like bananas or plantains, you'll like it!
Posted on: May 08, 2009
montecarlostar says:
That Tacacho sounds interesting... did you try it?
Posted on: May 08, 2009