Lao She Tea House

Qianmen Xi Dajie 3, Beijing, China

Lao She Tea House Beijing Reviews

gback84 gback84
Great Cultural Sampler Jan 16, 2011
I echo the other review of Lao She. It's a great way to get a sample of the local chinese culture in Beijing and the tea is fantastic! I paid a reasonable amount, but ended up in the third row. I would definitely recommend the first row. The floor isn't really raised so it's hard to see it all when you're not in the front.

You will need to make a reservation in advance for the show. You could probably arrive there, but I would recommend a reservation. I called them from my hotel the day before I wanted to go and it was fine. Weekends would probably be more busy...

The show is in chinese and there's a good mix of "locals" and tourists. There is some translations up on two tv screens for the tourists, but it's hard to look at both the show and the translations at the same time.

If I had to pick my favourite part of the show, it would have to be the changing of the masks. It was amazing!

If you only have a short time in Beijing and want to see some various local culture, then I recommend you visit Lao She Tea House!
TravellinChic says:
Is it possible to do the booking using the english language? When I tried booking it online, website is only in chinese...havent tried booking it via phone and I dont know if they speak english as it seem in Beijing, it's not easy to find people who speak nor understand english...or maybe I'm just too unlucky :P
Posted on: Jan 16, 2011
TravellinChic Travelli…
Lao She Tea House - Chinese cultural show sampler Aug 24, 2009
I paid 380Rmb for a front row seat and it was a good value because I believe I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much being farther..I am not tall :)

Starts at 7.50 until 9pm. The performances are just enough for you to enjoy but not get bored :)

It has probably almost everything that you would like to see for a typical chinese performance show:

1) art of pouring tea - there's a graceful way done in the theme of each of the four season; and there's kung fu style pouring of tea

2) acrobatic show - I was sooo scared and amazed

3) chinese opera

4) changing of the masks

5) chinese dance of 3 lovely (lovely!) ladies

6) chinese song sang by a performer

7) kung fu

8) magic show

9) chinese play with sword fight - sooo cool!

10) orchestra concert using traditional chinese musical instruments

There are snacks and refillable tea provided during the show. I would advise not to have dinner during the wouldn't want to take your eyes off stage :)
Lao She Tea House entrance
3 lovely chinese ladies dancing
chinese orchestra
Chinese play
TravellinChic says:
Indeed! :) I enjoyed it very much and felt it was worth my money spent :)
Posted on: Aug 25, 2009
princeza_9 says:
Sounds like you had a great time here! I'll have to check it out sometime.
Posted on: Aug 25, 2009