Landguard Fort.

felixstowe, Felixstowe, United Kingdom

Landguard Fort. Felixstowe Reviews

DHaworth DHaworth
Feb 16, 2007
Landguard Fort in Felixstowe England is a place that will give you a more meaningful historical experience. I must confess while i was in Felixstowe the Fort was closed and not opening til May 2007. I decided to climb the walls of the Fort and take my own tour. I have a bad habit of this in my travels. To me nothing is off limits, its the explorer in me. The fort is located on Landguard point and guarded the east coast port of Harwich for over 420 years, ever since Henry VIII personally inspected the sheltered haven. The Fort was a base for the british fleet during the Dutch wars of the late 17th century but also during world war II of the 20th century. In 1667 an assault on the fort by Dutch marines was defeated by Captain Nathaniel Darell and the Lord High Admirals Regiment,this was also the location of the surrender of a German submarine fleet in 1918 and the fort also hosted the Royal Navy which patrol constant during world war II.The actually fort was completed in the 1750s. You will find a colossal gun weighing 38 tons on display. During my self guided tour i was caught by one of the guards of the fort. Explaining to him my reasons he made the decision to finish off my tour by guiding me personally. We became good friends afterwards and shared lots of stories. It was an amazing tour and a great english historical landmark with alot of naval history.
Inside Landguard Fort in Felixstow…

Check Felixstowe Hotel Deals