Land Between the Lakes

Check Dover Hotel Deals

Land Between the Lakes Dover Reviews

camsuk76 camsuk76
Backcountry Camping Nov 13, 2009
This little spot is affectionately called "LBL" for the folks in the middle Tennessee area. LBL is between Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley. Lake Barkley is the TN side. For me its about a 45 min drive from Clarksville, TN. The roads are paved and mostly 2 lanes. Once you get off of the main road you are on a curvy 2 lane scenic rural road. People live in this area so don't try out your new Porsche 911 on the curves. Most of the motorist adhere to the posted speed limit and seem to be in no hurry. It doesn't cost anything to drive throught the park area. There are miles of winding roads and small dirt trails to explore. The park also provides tons of other things to do such as, horse back riding, off-road/ATV, hiking, camping, and hunting. There are several different camp grounds to choose from. My family and I go backcountry camping. You can purchase a weekend pass or a season pass. If you can read a map and don't mind doing some trail riding there are tons of places to pitch a tent and set up camp. The weekend pass is only like $5 per person. You should understand that this is not a zoo so expect to run into animals in the wild. The last time I went, we were driving into our usual spot and the first animal we spotted was an eagle. It was enormous. Unfortunately, my camera was in my pack and I couldn't get it out in time. LBL has alot of turkeys. There is also a buffalo farm. Yes, there are bison in north central TN. We've also, seen beavers and have run into a water snake once. Where my family and I camp we pitch our tent right by a boat slip. Occasionally people will drive down to drop in their boats but we never have people who stay and spoil our privacy. Here's the bottom line. If you like to camp, hike, fish and get out of your neighborhood then pack up your Jeep (that's what I take), SUV, car, whatever and head out to LBL. It is inexpensive and is a great way to get yourself and the kids out from in front of the TV. I love this place but I love camping anyway. You know what? On second thought don't go and see for yourself. The less people go the more room I will have for myself.
Camp Site