Lakka, Get away from it all.......

Lakka, Greece

Lakka, Get away from it all....... Reviews

Walrus Walrus
Apr 24, 2007
Lakka, September 2006

I found Lakka to be a stunningly beautiful, very quiet laid back resort with a good selection of tavernas and bars.

Most of the days were spent on Harami beach, reading books, watching the yachts and other pleasure craft and swimming in the crystal clear waters. Although the beach is pebbles the sea soon gave way to soft sand and making it perfect for swimming. The beach was served by a decent enough taverna and the bar at our hotel, the Amfitriti.

The majority of evenings we would go out for a meal in the town, the two favourites being Dionysius (sp?) and the one next door ran by a couple of ex-pats. Both offered good food at reasonable prices in a nice setting. Afterwards the bars were good (but not exceptional). Romantica is probably the pick of the bunch with its extensive cocktail list and good tunes.

Prices overall I found to be more expensive than previously encountered in Greece, probably due to the yachting set in every night. The locals were friendly enough and as Lakka is a small place you soon got to know many of the visitors. The weather was excellent for the first week, slightly chillier in the 2nd although still warm enough. On our last full day we were treated to a spectacular thunder storm watched from our balcony enjoying a chilled Mythos.

Day Trips etc.

Our first trip was a round the island boat trip with a stop off in Anti-Paxos. The views on the west coast are spectacular and the captain of our tiny boat was able to take us right into the caves, one which plunged us into pitch darkness. The sea in Anti-Paxos was the most breath-takingly clear blue I’ve come across and the beach was fine golden sand.

We also hired own boat for a day and trundled down the east coast stopping off at various coves and beaches for a swim and a sun bathe and in the small but perfectly formed Loggos. The freedom was great and well worth doing, especially as it meant we got some beaches to ourselves.

Twice we took the ‘tourist bus’ for a couple of nights in Gaios, which was good for a change and had some nice places, but not as nice a place as Lakka.

The only other day trips offered were a trip to Parga and a ‘culture’ evening was you a shown how olive oil is made and a lecture on Paxiot life.

We also had a couple of short walks to nearby beaches (Planos (sp?)was particularly good, although I wish I’d been warned about naked Germans before going there!), but walking isn’t really my bag, but the other couples in our apartments seemed to really enjoy their ramblings.

The trips we did were fine, but perhaps not as interesting as the ones offered on previous visits to Parga, Crete and Halkidiki. I didn’t appreciate how much we enjoyed the trips to historical sites on these holidays and in future will research destinations to make sure such trips are available.

The Amfitriti

The Amfitiriti is situated in nice grounds directly above Harami beach

The room we were in had a fantastic view of the Lakka bay and a very comfortable bed. However, it did have a musty smell of damp, the showers were rarely even luke warm and the water salient (although I guess this would be true of all of Paxos). The self catering provision was very poor. There was no draining board, you couldn’t use the rings on the ‘cooker’ when using the oven or grill and there was a poor selection of cutlery. The room was cleaned every day though and we had a change of towels and sheets about every 3rd day.

The bar was OK and Nancy the bar maid was friendly and helpful and the pool was fine but a little small. The hotel is not suitable for anyone with walking difficulties as there are some pretty steep flights of steps to get to the room, especially in the top block!

Olympic and Transfers

On the way over our transfer went pretty smoothly with flights on time and only a couple of hours waiting for the ferry from Corfu to Gaios. However, on the way home the organisation was pretty dire. First we had to give up our suitcases at 8pm on the day before we left so they could be taken to the Bastas where we caught our coach from. We then were informed we had to be at the Bastas for 7am on the day of leaving, despite our flights not leaving Corfu until 7.45 that evening. This meant we were left in Corfu town for around 7 hours before being taken from the port to the airport. Corfu town is worth a visit but I would rather have had a leisurely morning which is what I envisaged when choosing the flight times. The reason given was that they didn’t want to risk the ferry breaking down in the afternoon, which sounded a very poor excuse to me. The rep also gave an air of not being bothered.

The trips offered to us at our welcome meeting were exactly the same as offered by Routis or Planos in the town but at higher prices. Needless to say we went with Planos….

Overall

Lakka is a superb destination for a get away from it all, relaxing holiday. I really enjoyed my holiday but there weren’t enough interesting sites and places to visit on the island for my taste and was a bit on the pricey side. If the resort of Lakka was to be found on the mainland or maybe a bigger island such as Crete then I would have my perfect holiday destination. If anyone has any suggestions…………..
Lakka, Paxos