Lake Waikaremoana Tramp

Waikaremoana, New Zealand

Lake Waikaremoana Tramp Reviews

apetchell apetchell
Awesome tramp around a beautiful lake, definately worth the walk Aug 02, 2008
Early this year my friend and I decided we should do something really New Zealandy before she left the country. So we decided to do the Lake Waikaremoana tramp. It is listed under New Zealands 'Great Walks', and it really is great!!!

We stayed the first night at the camping ground, it takes a few hours on an unsealed road to get out there from Rotorua, make sure you have made any calls or get there early enough before the little grumpy lady at the camping ground reception closes. This is the only place around to purchase anything, but they do have lots of stuff. Also buy a phone card if you need to make a call, there is no reception for cell phones, and only a machine card phone.

Anyway make sure you book all the accomodation before you leave, and it will make the trip a lot easier.

Catch the early boat across to the start of Panekeri. They say this is a decent walk - ie not hard. But my friend and I who were both reasonably fit, we found it HARD! But don't let this get you down. It's an amazing walk and you feel so thrilled when u get to the top. I saw many families and small children walking, and thinking. MY GOD!

So yeah. 5-6 hrs and mostly up hill

Each night is a very nice hut. These ones a preferable and the nicest. Panekeri, Waiopaoa Hut, Waiharuru Hut. However the others are all basic and standard.

Each day was about 5 hours plus or minus, and all of reasonable active endurance. The first day is def the hardest and the last is very short back to the boat at the end.

Make sure you take a book!!! I forgot mine and regretted it majorly! However I did find many readers digests and we started playing Texas Holdem with them and 2 texan guys. Good times :)

So many things about this trip were so much fun, ask me if you have any queries.

Don't expect showers, but I do recommend going for a swim when you are staying beside the lake, you feel so much better.

Make a fire in the huts or outside the huts. Take purell or detol (an antibacteria hand cream). Take toilet paper. A camera

All the obvious!

On the last day leave enough time so that you can swim at the boat place at the end, its so nice and lovely, just like a summer beach

Oh I also recommend. DONT forget to take wet weather gear, its very disgusting if all your stuff in your pack gets wet and its actually quite cool walking in the misty rain. Kinda Lord of the Rings style, for anyone wanting real New Zealand terrain.

Oh also, you can camp all the way around. We didn't do this because we thought it would be harder to carry tents and its much nicer to stay in the nice clean huts

This is a very helpful website too

Will add photos soon
An amazing view on the way up!
Start of the tramp :)
Eve on the way up
On the boat on the way over
djc81 says:
Nice review, Im going over in Jan and looking at all the great walks trying to decide which one to do.
Posted on: Aug 14, 2009
Dawgsnme says:
Great travel tale. Will be traveling in Jan/Feb and be sure to make this trip.
Raanana , Israel
Posted on: Jul 12, 2009
row-zzzzz says:
Lovely review you wrote, I felt as if I was there, imagining the surroundings looking on the web-site you gave ... never knowing this place ever existed and the 'nice' little old lady ... keep up the writing, I like to read more; sorry you forgot your book :( but all I need is my MP3 and one of many of my little fleece blankets then I'll fall asleep
Posted on: Aug 05, 2008

Compare Putaruru Hotel Rates (6.6km away)

Waikaremoana Map