Lake Shetek State Park

163 State Park Road Currie, Currie, MN, USA

Lake Shetek State Park Currie Reviews

alyssa_ob alyssa_ob
nice hiking in the fall colors Oct 18, 2008
Lake Shetek State Park has some nice walking/hiking trails and is a great place to view the fall colors. The park has a campground, picnic area, walking trails and boat rentals. Loon Island is reached by walking down the causeway connecting the island to the mainland. The trail around Loon Island is gravel and level and there are a number of interpretive signs along the trail.

Other trails that wind through the park are well groomed and have benches at scenic spots along the lake. There are 6 miles of handicap accesible trails and a 6 mile paved biking trail. (I'm not sure if these are the same trails - the Loon Island trail seemed handicap accessible). They have 14 miles of hiking trails and also cross country ski and snowmobile trails in winter.

I saw lots of birds, including a kingfisher, red headed woodpecker and an egret. The leaves were changing color and most had fallen. I love hiking in the fall. I love the smell of the fallen leaves, the cool and crisp air and the smell of woodsmoke. I love the sound of walking through the leaves, kicking them as you go (that's how I flushed the deer). I saw about a dozen deer in three different groups. It was a nice place to visit for a couple hours or a week. It is a very nice park in southwestern Minnesota
picnic area
picnic table by the lake
boat launch and causeway
causeway to Loon Island
vances says:
Really inviting review...CONGRATS! I like this trend of featured hikes!!!
X_Drive says:
Congrats on your second featured review!! :)
acowboy says:
sweet... you are featured!!! = )

Related Travel Blogs About Lake Shetek State Park

Week 5: Oct 12-18, 2008
  More digging and sampling this week.  We hit a big layer of ash and have no idea why it is there.  It covers a large portion of the excavation and is so fine that it blows easily in…Lake Shetek State Park , near Currie.   I hiked the hiking club trail, but it was so flat it was more…

Check Currie Hotel Deals