Lake Murray

Batesburg-Leesville, South Carolina

Lake Murray Batesburg-Leesville Reviews

luvwatersports luvwater…
The Lake May 19, 2008
If you like go boating, fishing, scuba diving, swiming, water sports this is the place for you. This may spook you or may excite you. This is a man made lake and there use to be a city there. There are few churches, schools and grave yards below the water. Don't worry your feet will never touch the steeples. The water is way to deep for that. Close to the bridge/dam a B-52 bomber went down. How crazy is that right? There is a map and a right up on the history of the land before they decided to make it a lake in our Lexington County Library on Hwy 6. If you go to the lake on off season it is free to what you would like. In the in season it is a 3.00 charge for the day. If you think you would like to get a season pass it is 40.00. This will allow you to use the swiming area and boating area all summer.
my husband and son at play
a fav. place to alot of people ev…
Sculley3 Sculley3
May 10, 2007
On a trip recently, while getting together with old friends for our semi-annual college reuinion, I got to experience the grandness on Lake Murray the 2nd largest man-made lake in the United states.

The Clostest 'Large' city is the Capitol, Columbia. Though I spent much time in my late 20's going to college in the Carolina's (Mytle Beach) I am not the biggest fan of the state, my distain for outskirt towns consisting of more baptist churches & delapidated trailers than people & homes is quite large.

But enough about the negetive...Lake Murray, so large when it was created it submerged several towns which still exist beneath it's waters today, which I would believe would make an excelent fresh water dive on any of the downed sites. I took the time last week to do some kayaking on the lake, and except for the wakes caused by the numerous skiers & novice fisherman, the water was excellent. While on the kayak I got to see one Eagle fishing near myself and return it's catch to a nearby nest, several other predatory birds onlong with ring neck geese. Though the fishing was not good for me & my my friends word is that most of the lake offers many good catch potential.

The house we rented on the lake as nice and quaint, though it had obvious wear & tear, rental cost @ the first of May was about $1,300 for Sunday thru Saturday and was close enough to batesburge-Leesville (other side of Columbia) that groceries and restraunts were only 20 minutes either direction.

Though I throughoughly enjoyed the south cuisine I must say that the one constant that I missed in South Caralina was Sweet Tea. No, it is not Tea with sugar, It is as necture of gods and princes and for some odd reason it has not progressed outside the confines of the true south.
Batesburg-Leesville Map