kefalonia, Greece

Lake Melissani kefalonia Reviews

Suusj Suusj
Lake Melissani Jun 26, 2013
On our trip to Kefalonia we went to visit Lake Melissani. Melissani lake is located in a Cave northwest of Sami. The Ionian sea lies to the east, tree’s surrounding the cave. The cave has a big hole, wich got there due to a collapse, in the top wich allows sunlight to get into the cave.

In Greek mythology Melissani was the cave of the nymphs.

Melissani lake, situated in the Melissani Cave had brackish groundwater, a mix between fresh water an sea water. The water of Melissani lake outflows to Fridi Beach.

The water in the cave is very bright and you can see the bottom very clear! There are also a lot of stalactites and stalagmites.

So the lake itself is wonderful and so worth visiting but it is also a bit of a tourist trap and I personally would not visit again! Your shoved into a boot with about 10 other tourists and then you get a small round at the lake. It is really pretty but I did feel rushed. I would have loved to swim around for a bit, or just stayed around a bit longer…

I guess I just expected a bit more from it.
missandrea81 says:
I bet it is too busy to swim with all the boats, as you mentioned. Thanks for this honest review. :)
Posted on: Aug 25, 2013