Lajes Inn

Check Terceira Hotel Deals

Lajes Inn Terceira Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Air Force Inns - Terceira Jul 04, 2013
Lajes Inn was part of the experience of crossing the Atlantic… Our plane had two emergency landings on the way to US, and Azores was “first stop” in that journey (after Azores we had another emergency landing at Bermudas and then somehow made it to Miami). We landed to the military base/airport that has both US and Portuguese military. After landing we were going to sleep over on the island and somehow I ended up with the last 15 people that were to be placed in the hotel on the base. I really dislike military bases and I tried to avoid it but there was no option for me and they did not even want to let me sleep on the airport. We did not get our luggage after disembarking, and that is where I had all equipment for camping so I had to go with the flow…

I don’t want to say that I was jealous of the rest of the people that ended in good hotels in the city, but they had a nice reception, food at their disposal and there was also a festival in the city going strong all night long… Sometimes I wish I have more luck.

Going through paperwork of who is going to pay for the rooms in the base took an hour or so, but our group was already too tired to talk to anyone. We were just sitting around in the sofas, listening to our rights as guests of military base and after few hours and good amount of checkups/receiving the tags and keys we were placed in the Lajes Inn. This is the hotel that is part of Air Force Inns system that probably exists in every large base. Rooms are classic American style of the good road motel, with all necessary and unnecessary electrical equipment. There is coffee maker, microwave, fridge, TV with Pentagon marketing program on every channel…

Bed is large and very comfortable, with lots of warm sheeting which shows that it can get cold on this island. Whole Inn is very clean, smells good and only ugly thing is the way it looks from outside. Restroom is nicely designed, has excellent shower, all shampoos and soaps, hair fan and towels… Sleeping there was just perfect.

Reception is not at this location and you’ll have to walk a bit to get there. They give you a map with basic explanation of the base and where to find food and how to go to the gate. Food in their bar is the worst kind of US fried food so we decided to hit the town and satisfy our hunger. Town is pretty far away from the base, but the road is excellent highway style road and the taxi driver was happy to show how fast he can cover this 20 or so kilometers… By the way, taxis can enter the base if they have the pass so you don’t need to walk around and get to the gates.

I know that this kind of hotels are not really accessible for general public, but at least you are informed that they exist and maybe they can be used if you need them. This base was very relaxed so I assume that it is possible to stay there as a civilian.

Check Terceira Hotel Deals