Laguna de Apoyo

Laguna de Apoyo - The laguna seen from Masaya Vulcano

Laguna de Apoyo Reviews

cincomanos cincoman…
Nov 11, 2007
To me Laguna de Apoyo was simply breathtaking. It's a crater lake of Masaya vulcano. The water is very clean (cleanest of all lakes in Nicaragua) and very very clear, you can see right down to the bottom (until it gets too deep) and the temperature of the water is great because of the vulcano's magma underneath.

The scenery is great! Because it's a crater lake, it is surrounded by green "hills" (the crater's edge). Many monkeys live in the area and when you get up early (like 5:30) you can enjoy the great sunrise and the howler monkeys will come down from the forrest. When hiking around you can spot them, but the sound of their howling is pretty impressive.

I was there in the summer (August) traveling in a group, but besides us there was NO ONE there! Can you believe it? If a place like that would excist in Europe it would be FULL with tourists, inflatable beds, screaming kids, toys... It would be hell! But here is a silence that is unbelievable. I had never been to a place like this and I think it was very very special.

We stayed in a great hostel, check out my accomodation review.
Early in the morning