La Vecchia School of Cooking

www.lavecchiascuola.com - +039-051-6491576

La Vecchia School of Cooking Bologna Reviews

cotterb cotterb
Great Tourist Cooking Class Mar 30, 2009
This school provides an excellent tourist cooking class. It's focused on pasta but a lot of other information is provided verabally. The class is held in English and costs 80€ for the 4 hour class. In addition to the cooking instruction, you get a shirt, hat, and a large lunch.

The school offers longer classes and the website suggests that they will accomodate groups.

I booked 4 days in advance, but would recommend calling or emailing them farther in advance then that.

The owner of the school does a television show based out of Rome twice a week.

During the 4 hour course we made fresh pasta dough and then from that made tortelloni which we stuffed with a ricotta cheese stuffing. Then we took the same dough and made tagliatelle (long strips of pasta like speghetti, but flat and thin, and finally a tortellini stuffed with a pork filling.

Tortelloni and tortellini are the same shape, but tortellini is much smaller, and it was more difficult to make them.

I was the only turist student in the class, but while I was there several students taking a 3 month course were there as well. They moved fast, I moved slow, I guess practice makes perfect. While we made the ricotta stuffing I didn't listen well enough so I didn't measure some of the ingredients (I thought they were pre measured and she was just telling me the amounts) so I dumped a bunch of parmesian cheese into the mixing bowl and I should have put just 200g. We got through it and laughed.

While I was learning how to to fold and dry the tortelloni the chef took my pasta, boiled it, and mixed it with butter and sage. We had that, along with the tortellini which was put in a beef/chicken broth and was a soup. Finally, the chef took the remainder of the ricotta cheese, put it in a dough, and cooked it, making a quesadilla of sorts. The tagliatelle was mixed with a traditional bolognase sauce. I qualify it as traditional because it's not like the bolognase that most americans are used to, there was very little tomato in it.

All of the food was incredible tasting. The other students were great. One of them was from Germany. She met her husband who is canadian and they moved to Italy for his work. She was just learning because she was interested. Other students wanted to go onto open their own resturants. While I made a dough with 6 eggs and 600g of flour, they were doing it with 15 eggs and 1.5kg of flour. It was neat watching them.

If you are in the area of Bologna, I highly recommend trying to take even the one day course, and even if you are by yourself. I had a blast.
The website banner (taken from the…
A photo from their website.

Check Bologna Hotel Deals