La Super Rica

(805) 963-4940

La Super Rica Santa Barbara Reviews

Eric Eric
Apr 28, 2007
La Super Rica is a local favorite that serves up unique tasting Mexican food in an ultra casual setting. You wait in a long line, place your order, then grab a seat on a plastic chair under some tarp on a tent-like patio. Supposedly this place was a favorite of Julia Child, and it has received multiple rave reviews.

While I thought the food was decent, I definitely don't think it was remarkable, and have had much better Mexican food in San Diego. It seems like people like this place more for the novelty than anything else. Dishes are fairly small (you need to order at least two to have a full meal), but there is a lot of variety to choose from. I've had some really good dishes here (try the cheese quesadilla -- simple but delicious) and others that were just average (think onion, meat, and peppers quickly sauteed together in a greasy pan then dumped over a corn tortilla).

A good place to grab a casual lunch, but definitely a bit over-hyped in my humble opinion!

Cash only.
Eric says:
Yea i love the horchata there! Pure sugary goodness ;)
Posted on: May 22, 2007
SpartanAnna says:
I lived in Santa Barbara last summer and I ate at La Super Rica all the time, but, like you, mainly because of all the hype. I do however, highly recommend their horchata (a cold rice drink - delish!)
Posted on: May 22, 2007
Amanda says:
I love super casual places like this - sounds neat!
Posted on: May 03, 2007