La Source

Pink Gin Beach

La Source Reviews

jhwelsch jhwelsch
Nice Resort Feb 06, 2000
First, please remember this was 2000 and lots of things can have changed for better or worse!

This resort is (or at least was when we visited) owned by the same people who own Rendezvous in St. Lucia where we'd stayed in '96. Unlike Rendezvous, it offers a wide variety of what it calls "body treats" such as massage, facials, aroma therapy, etc., etc. One treatment per day per guest is included in the price. Also unlike Rendezvous, this is not a "couples only" resort so there were singles to be found but, at least when we were there, no kids at all.

La Source is a very nice property. The layout is efficient, the architecture and grounds are magnificent and the place is well maintained. We opted for a deluxe oceanfront room and it was great. Certainly not the most magnificent room we've ever stayed in but it had wood cathedral ceilings and was richly enhanced by the generous use of mahogany. As a mater of fact, the use of mahogany throughout the hotel reflected the fact that it grows on the island and certainly contributed to the upscale ambiance. The rooms without the cathedral ceilings had the same layout, of course, but they were not nearly as appealing. Each room has a small balcony. Voltage, by the way, is 220 volts but chances are the neat little adapter kit you have won't adapt to the sockets they have there. There are two flat in-line blades plus ground. The same plug is sometimes used here in the States for low-amperage 220 volt service but I've never seen a similar layout in an adapter kit and I've had many over the years. Housekeeping lent me two adapters but I was never successful in getting them to work. Whether the problem was the adapters or the wall outlet I don't know. Our room looked directly over the beach and, since a storm took much of the beach away last December, was very close to the surf as well. The room was large and bright with marble floors and a four-poster king sized bed. The marble bathroom was quite large.

The beach is quite long but, because of a storm in December, was narrower than is shown in the brochures. Unfortunately, the same storm took away many of the palm trees. Given the culture of the place, at least during our visit, there are barely enough beach chairs and nowhere near enough umbrellas. The big problem is that people claim them in the morning and hold them all day, even when they're away from the beach for extended periods. We quickly found that, if you don't stake a claim early in the morning, you're out of luck for the day. Consequently, we became part of the problem in that I was up every morning claiming a spot. An unfortunate and unnecessary bit of stress.

They have small sailboats (including Hobie catamarans), wind-surfers, and ocean kayaks readily available. If you know how to use one, you simply put on a life vest and take it for as long as you like. If you need instruction, they provide it at no charge during certain hours in the afternoon. Water skiing works essentially the same way. Scuba is also available. If you're not certified, you can participate, as I did, in a "try-dive". It's included in the rate and includes classroom instruction, pool training, and an open water dive. It also gave me the opportunity to meet some nice folks from Canada. It was a real kick but it does eat up the better part of a day. Immediately adjacent to the beach are two pools, a larger one with a constant depth where they did water aerobics and a smaller one with a deep end. There was a whirlpool nearby. There's all the normal beach volleyball, etc. that one would expect. Every day, there was a long listing of planned activities -- regattas, archery lessons, etc. but no pressure to do anything.

There are two restaurants at La Source. The Terrace is an open-air affair located adjacent to the pools. The Great House Restaurant is in a building somewhat behind that and on the second floor. It may have been there somewhere but I saw no evidence of an elevator so, if you're disabled, you might want to ask some questions before staying at La Source. The Great House has two inside dining rooms and a balcony where there are many additional tables. Breakfast was in the Great House every day and was largely buffet but there was a cook there for eggs, omelets, etc. Breakfast was unremarkable. Lunch every day was in the Terrace and was always a buffet but it was quite extensive and the menu changed daily. It was good and we always ate more than we normally do at home. Wine flowed abundantly at lunch and they had a different red and white each day. (The house-selected wine is included; if you want something else, you pay. As at Rendezvous, I saw no reason not to drink the offered wines; they were quite good.) Dinner on Tuesdays is a buffet and on Fridays is a barbecue, both on the Terrace. On the other 5 evenings, dinner is a sit-down affair in the Great House. We talked to one couple who didn't like the dinners but we found then to be great. There was a wide selection and the food was both delicious and well presented. Naturally, there's a lot of fish and I ate more marlin that week than in the rest of my life combined. We found dinner to be among the top attractions at La Source.

There are two bars; one at the Terrace (and therefore near the pool) and the Piano Bar adjacent to the Great House. Again, the Piano Bar is on the second floor and I saw no evidence of an elevator. What's worse, while both the Piano Bar and the Great House restaurant are adjacent on the second floor, to get from one to the other, you have to go down 1/2 flight to a landing, then up 1/2 flight to the other place. I don't guess they have ADA in Grenada! After Rendezvous, the piano bar at La Source was a disappointment. There was usually piano music before dinner but often a rather loud combo afterwards so, at least for us, it was not a nice place to relax. Since the mosquitos on the Terrace after dark would take large chunks out of your body, we didn't find that to be a viable option for after-dinner relaxation either. Another bit of aggravation is that the Piano Bar opens at 7 and they take the time seriously. The doors are open before that so you can go in but they absolutely refuse to serve you a minute before 7:00. With a bar tender standing idly behind the bar, it seems logical that he might condescend to pour a beer a few minutes early but no dice. Certainly doesn't give the impression they give a damn.

The other hotel staff ranged from "adequate" to "pretty helpful" with one happy exception. The dive shop folks were absolutely great. On the first day there I talked to C.J. and Adrian who work at the dive shop and on the second day we had a very enjoyable lunch with them. It was C.J. who took me on the try-dive. These guys were absolutely great and never failed to wave and say "Hi!" when they saw us, even at a distance.

There are two concessions at La Source, a tour office and the gift shop. The lady in the tour office was fantastic. She was very helpful and after only a few visits, she knew us by name. They have a pretty decent selection of tours by land, sea, or air. The gift shop was another matter. The people were nice but the selection of goods was extremely limited. They don't carry men's deodorant at all and we were told, "check back tomorrow" for bug repellant and stamps. Given that there is no alternative except a walk to the airport (where you'd be unlikely to find much) or a cab ride, this is a bad deal. Seems to be they're missing a pretty good money-making opportunity, too.
La Source Map