La Scola Tuscan Grill

2215 Tiffin Ave., Findlay, OH, USA

La Scola Tuscan Grill Findlay Reviews

PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
Falls short of fine Italian dining Jul 18, 2013
My husband took me here for our 9th anniversary. We wanted a restaurant with a quiet, romantic, adult atmosphere. From the outward appearance and website, La Scola was our place. It is roughly a 30 minute drive from our home. Being a special occasion, we dressed smart casual.

The exterior of the building is done very well. There is a nice patio, plenty of parking, and it seems well lit (we arrived during the daytime). It is easy to get to off of a major street in Findlay.

The interior is very nice. The bar area has a nice atmosphere and there is a large stone fireplace separating the bar from the restaurant. I would describe it best as “cozy.” Some of the booths show some wear, but nothing major. While the restaurant is fairly new to the Findlay area, the building is not but it seems to be well maintained.

We were seated immediately as there was only about 3 other couples and a baby in the dining room. Smart casual felt right for the atmosphere and the servers, but not the other patrons. The other couples were in cut-offs, shorts, and t-shirts. So, come as you are. Our server approached us immediately with a drink order and suggestions. She explained the wine list, beer selections, and soft drink choices. She offered to bring a glass of water as I looked over the wine menu. I ordered an Italian red which arrived in a carafe and our waitress poured it into the glass for me. One note I will make was that the service was excellent. Our waitress was attentive without being pushy. She never interrupted our conversation and we never had an empty glass. She anticipated our needs and was prompt. She was, without a doubt, the best part of this experience.

We ordered a bread appetizer. We ordered our meal. Our appetizer arrived in a good amount of time, followed by our salad. The salad was excellent with gorgonzola cheese, fresh greens, and a balsamic dressing. I waited for a bread-and-herb dip that is often included with Italian dinners but there was no bread except for the appetizer. The appetizer was very good but basic. It was cheese bread with a few herbs served hot with marinara. The sauce was extremely basic – tomato, oregano, and very little else. It complemented the herbs in the bread well, however.

Our dishes arrived. I ordered fettuccini carbonara. One thing I liked right away is that it had much more garlic than many Italian restaurants I’ve eaten. I love garlic and I’m baffled at how many times there is simply not enough in Italian dishes. Many times I need to order my dish with “extra” garlic to get them to put any in. This was the perfect amount. The dish was best described as above average in taste. Where I’m going to dock the restaurant MANY points is that the description called for capers and prosciutto. The dish came with bacon and peas. I’m fairly familiar with food but am in no way an expert, but these were without a doubt peas and it was without a doubt not prosciutto (WAY too thick and had a completely different taste.)

We ordered dessert. I wanted the tiramisu. If you read the description you will find that it is not a traditional tiramisu. This one had candied nuts and caramel. There was very little coffee flavor. It was also more mousse based than cake or lady-finger based.

Overall, I would rank it as “okay”. I’m not disappointed that we gave it a try; it didn't meet up with expectations. I didn’t feel it was a good value for the money. While it wasn’t overly expensive, it wasn’t overly impressive either. Next time I want really good Italian; I will spend a little extra time and gas money and head to Columbus. The search continues for the perfect Italian restaurant within 100 miles of my home.
missandrea81 says:
Trying to pass peas for capers... Wow! lol

At least the service was pleasant though.
Posted on: Jul 19, 2013