La Sagrada Familia

401 Calle Mallorca / Plaça de la Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain

La Sagrada Familia Barcelona Reviews

EmEm EmEm
Gaudí 's Basilica Feb 06, 2017
La Sagrada Familia is a basilica in Barcelona, one of the most visited buildings in the world. This marvelous works is Antoni Gaudí's magnum opus that has been under construction since 1882.

Gaudí was the famous Spanish Catalan architect, who died in 1926, but his basilica is not expected to be completed for some time yet. He was also called "God's Architect" due to religious images in his works.

A new constructional technique allowed him to achieve his greatest architectural goal, beyond Gothic style, his designs in three dimensions. Gaudí conceived the interior of the church as if it were a forest. The pillar and branches symbolise trees rising up to the roof. The hyperboloid vaults allow for holes to let natural light in, to give the impression of a starry sky.

The basilica has three facades dedicated to the birth,passion and glory of Jesus. When completed it will have eighteen towers: twelve for the apostles, four for the evangelists, one dedicated to the Virgin and the central in honour of Jesus.

During Gaudí's life only the crypt, apse and part of the Nativity facade were completed. In 2005 these three parts have been granted World Heritage status by UNESCO.

It is a truly magnificent building and an absolute must-see when you visit Barcelona. Admission: main entrance €15, with towers €29

There are often very long queues to get into the attraction up to 2 hours as the number of visitors is determined by its capacity and safety reasons. You can avoid queues if you purchase an online advance ticket. Correct dress code is requested for entrance to the Sagrada Familia Basilica: no tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
EmEm says:
@Cho- I stayed in the same place :D
Posted on: Feb 06, 2017
Cho says:
I was in Barcelona way back in 1999 but unfortunately, only got a glimpse of this magnificent basilica. My friend and I were on holiday at a beach resort called Lloret de Mar and the tour bus took us for a short ride through the city.
Posted on: Feb 06, 2017
EmEm says:
@gingerbatik- marvelous!
Posted on: Feb 05, 2017
sherryshakarob sherrysh…
La Sagrada Familia Feb 28, 2015
Ever since Barcelona was listed in my list "places I wanna see" I remember people were talking about that church.

They talked about how big and fabulous it is.

The day I've got there, it was rain. We were waiting in a long line for more than an hour. I can advise you buying the tickets online and skip the line.

The ceilings are dramatically hight, and ALL the church is extremely big ! Very impressive and fancy place.

All the windows are made of colorful glasses which effects the inside atmosphir and makes it more magical.

I'm trying here to describe what I have experienced while been there, but it's just hard....go see it if you are heading to that gorgeous city Barcelona !

Enjoy my friends :)
From out side
alexia90jd alexia90…
WOW Dec 18, 2015
i think this is one of the most spectacular sites i've visited in Barcelona.

Ok, the ticket costs 20€ and you can stay inside only 1 hour,if you have the audio guide you can stay 1h15.

The audio guide tour is a bit chaotic, but that is the best way to understand something about the Sagrada

But believe me, it's amazing! I've been there at sunset time,and i think it's the best time because the light inside is spectacular, the church becomes red, and that leaved me breathless..
AaahValee AaahValee
Very touristic however, you can't miss it! Apr 15, 2013
-Name: Templo Expiatorio de La Sagrada Familia

-Location: Plaça de la Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain

-Construction Date: 1883 - Still under construction

-Type of building: Temple

-Author: Antoní Gaudí i Cornet

-Main materials: Stone, brick, tile and glass

-Style: Gothic, Neo-gothic, and Art nouveau

-Curiosities: *Gaudí got so obsessed with this project he started to live in a small crypt inside the temple

*To Gaudí art is pure irrationalism, so his technique was the technique of the irrational

*Gaudí was a very religious man who expected to make a tribute to The Creator through his work.

*Gaudí died in June 10th 1926 when a tram run over him while he was on his way to La Sagrada Familia (between the streets Gran via de les corts and Bailén) friends of the architect offered to take him to a private hospital but he said "My place is here, with the poor" and died in the Hospital de la Santa creu.

Pros:

-Beautiful park just infront of it with a lake where you can enjoy a great view of the temple.

-Icon of the catalan modernism movement

-It's arquitechture is something you probably haven't seen before anywhere. It's very unique.

Downsides:

-The place is usually over-crowded in high season, but at least go to see it even if you don't go inside, the outside is worth seeing.

-Price does not include going to the top of the building (+4€)
grandmar grandmar
The Gaudy Church Mar 29, 2008
I was determine to see this church - so much so that when the lines for the hop on-hop off buses were EXTREMELY long, I got impatient and I walked across to the taxi line and got in a cab. My grandson was still in line and wasn't paying attention to what I was going to do, and I had to get out and go back to get him. But we got a cab to the Sagrada Familia church by Gaudi and got there about 11:20.

We started to walk around it, as we had landed at the group entrance to find the individual entrance and where red route bus stop was. The cheapest admission was 15€ each and I thought that was too expensive, so we didn't go in. Although I now see that people with disabilities and or above the 65 plus 1 companion have free admission. Since I am over 65, I might have been able to get in free.

While the church is fantastic and I'm glad I saw it, it is, of course, still under construction. I found the facade color to be kind of grimy - like Baltimore was before they sandblasted years of soot and pollution from the building facades and brought them back to normal.

I had originally thought that the word "gaudy" came from the name of the architect but this is an erroneous explanation of the word origin because "gaudy: dates back to the 16th century and Antoni Gaudi isn't that old.

Gaudi died after getting hit by a trolley car in Barcelona (I think he was walking absent-mindedly), only a few weeks shy of his 74th birthday. The church has a final completion target date of 2026, to mark the 100th anniversary of his passing

Check Barcelona Hotel Deals