La Sagrada Familia

401 Calle Mallorca / Plaça de la Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain

La Sagrada Familia Barcelona Reviews

EmEm EmEm
Gaudí 's Basilica Feb 06, 2017
La Sagrada Familia is a basilica in Barcelona, one of the most visited buildings in the world. This marvelous works is Antoni Gaudí's magnum opus that has been under construction since 1882.

Gaudí was the famous Spanish Catalan architect, who died in 1926, but his basilica is not expected to be completed for some time yet. He was also called "God's Architect" due to religious images in his works.

A new constructional technique allowed him to achieve his greatest architectural goal, beyond Gothic style, his designs in three dimensions. Gaudí conceived the interior of the church as if it were a forest. The pillar and branches symbolise trees rising up to the roof. The hyperboloid vaults allow for holes to let natural light in, to give the impression of a starry sky.

The basilica has three facades dedicated to the birth,passion and glory of Jesus. When completed it will have eighteen towers: twelve for the apostles, four for the evangelists, one dedicated to the Virgin and the central in honour of Jesus.

During Gaudí's life only the crypt, apse and part of the Nativity facade were completed. In 2005 these three parts have been granted World Heritage status by UNESCO.

It is a truly magnificent building and an absolute must-see when you visit Barcelona. Admission: main entrance €15, with towers €29

There are often very long queues to get into the attraction up to 2 hours as the number of visitors is determined by its capacity and safety reasons. You can avoid queues if you purchase an online advance ticket. Correct dress code is requested for entrance to the Sagrada Familia Basilica: no tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals.
EmEm says:
@Cho- I stayed in the same place :D
Posted on: Feb 06, 2017
Cho says:
I was in Barcelona way back in 1999 but unfortunately, only got a glimpse of this magnificent basilica. My friend and I were on holiday at a beach resort called Lloret de Mar and the tour bus took us for a short ride through the city.
Posted on: Feb 06, 2017
EmEm says:
@gingerbatik- marvelous!
Posted on: Feb 05, 2017
mainhart mainhart
Tips about seeing Gaudi's Masterpiece May 22, 2017
La Sagrada Familia, the masterpiece of famed architect and Barcelona God Antoni Gaudi and symbol of the city. One day La Sagrada Familia may be to Barcelona what the Eiffel Tower is to Paris, an iconic landmark. It is already the most visited site in Spain and it is not even completed yet! When I first visited the church 17 years ago, it was most definitely a work in progress. The towers were done as was the museum in the crypt space. But the sanctuary itself resembled a stage set weeks before a play was to be performed. The towers afforded a nice view of the city, but frankly it was a construction zone. I was very much looking forward to seeing it this Spring, 17 years later, and after it had been consecrated by the Vatican. What a different experience! My cousin purchased somewhat expensive tickets online weeks beforehand. We were aware that the church had become a hot ticket in Barcelona so we wanted to make sure we saw it, without having to wait hours in line. On the ticket we were assigned a specific appointment time and told to arrive early. We arrived over an hour early and I must say seeing the Church from the green across the street is awe-inspiring. The flowering tress lend an even more dramatic flair to a very severely dramatic building. However we were soon overwhelmed by something Gaudi did not create, TOURIST crowds. The lines were everywhere and I am still not sure what they were all for. We ended up waiting on an Information line because we did not know where we were supposed to be. Once we were instructed where to go we decided to get a respite from the crowds and get a bite to eat. Mistake. When going to see La Sagrada Familia make sure you eat in a nice neighborhood beforehand. The only places to eat anywhere remotely close to the church are all tourist traps. We could not find one authentic place around. We picked one that seemed passable, but we were wrong. Low quality tourist fare. I wondered if that would ever be allowed near the Eiffel Tower? I suspect proud Parisians would never allow that! Anyway, after our sad meal of which we never spoke about again, we waited on line for the entrance where we were told to come back 15 minutes before entry time. So don't bother coming early as suggested! I would suggest getting there 1/2 hour early, get your bearings, take some outside shots of the impressive edifice and then head straight to the line. Why wait among the crowds in the hot sun as we did? Before entering you will pass through airport-like security, but unfortunately that is the world we live in. Once inside two things immediately struck me: How different the place looked from 17 years ago. The inside was awash in bright colors from the windows. Simply breathtaking. The nature-inspired architecture of the nave and the whimsy of it all was amazing. However, that is when the second thing struck me. It simply did not feel like a holy place. Maybe it was the crowds of people snapping photos of every inch (I'm not innocent either), maybe Gaudi's over-the-top style is not conducive to prayer. How can one ponder Heaven with all that Gaudi is overloading your senses with? It was almost like a secular baroqueness. In Baroque churches you are hit with gaudy images from the Bible. In La Sagrada Familia you are hit with Gaudi images of light and nature. In any case it might be worthwhile for Barcelona to seek some advice from the Vatican on how a place can retain the feeling of sanctity in spite of the massive amount of tourists. To be fair the attendants in the church try their best in the losing battle to remind people that they are in a sacred space. Without a cape and superpowers though they had no chance. The visit up the tower was disappointing. We took an express elevator up to the top. Then walked down to a viewpoint that was pretty narrow and honestly did not give a great view. I remembered a better view last time. This part is not for the faint of heart since you do not descend back on the elevator, but through a narrow twisting stairway where you can see all the way down. I nearly died. What was worse was the selfie-obsessed couple in front of me stopping to take selfies every few flights. It all looked the same, dark, so what were they trying to capture except the terror on my face?! When I arrived back on the ground I found fellow survivors of the journey who felt as I did and waited for my cousin who was worried about me, knowing I fear heights. We then made our way through the nice but expensive gift shop and down to the adjacent metro station for the next part of our Gaudi journey. That is brings up another point. By all means take the Metro. The station is literally right there and I cannot even begin to imagine where one would park! La Sagrada Familia is an outsanding example of fantastical architecture that everyone who visits Barcelona needs to see. It is still a construction zone and I am curious as to what the finished product will look like. Hopefully this will help those to better plan so that they can get the most out of this very touristy experience. By the way, I did find a place for a quick prayer, which was good because afterwards is when I went up that Tower... it might have been my final one!
sherryshakarob sherrysh…
La Sagrada Familia Feb 28, 2015
Ever since Barcelona was listed in my list "places I wanna see" I remember people were talking about that church.

They talked about how big and fabulous it is.

The day I've got there, it was rain. We were waiting in a long line for more than an hour. I can advise you buying the tickets online and skip the line.

The ceilings are dramatically hight, and ALL the church is extremely big ! Very impressive and fancy place.

All the windows are made of colorful glasses which effects the inside atmosphir and makes it more magical.

I'm trying here to describe what I have experienced while been there, but it's just hard....go see it if you are heading to that gorgeous city Barcelona !

Enjoy my friends :)
From out side
alexia90jd alexia90…
WOW Dec 18, 2015
i think this is one of the most spectacular sites i've visited in Barcelona.

Ok, the ticket costs 20€ and you can stay inside only 1 hour,if you have the audio guide you can stay 1h15.

The audio guide tour is a bit chaotic, but that is the best way to understand something about the Sagrada

But believe me, it's amazing! I've been there at sunset time,and i think it's the best time because the light inside is spectacular, the church becomes red, and that leaved me breathless..
AaahValee AaahValee
Very touristic however, you can't miss it! Apr 15, 2013
-Name: Templo Expiatorio de La Sagrada Familia

-Location: Plaça de la Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain

-Construction Date: 1883 - Still under construction

-Type of building: Temple

-Author: Antoní Gaudí i Cornet

-Main materials: Stone, brick, tile and glass

-Style: Gothic, Neo-gothic, and Art nouveau

-Curiosities: *Gaudí got so obsessed with this project he started to live in a small crypt inside the temple

*To Gaudí art is pure irrationalism, so his technique was the technique of the irrational

*Gaudí was a very religious man who expected to make a tribute to The Creator through his work.

*Gaudí died in June 10th 1926 when a tram run over him while he was on his way to La Sagrada Familia (between the streets Gran via de les corts and Bailén) friends of the architect offered to take him to a private hospital but he said "My place is here, with the poor" and died in the Hospital de la Santa creu.

Pros:

-Beautiful park just infront of it with a lake where you can enjoy a great view of the temple.

-Icon of the catalan modernism movement

-It's arquitechture is something you probably haven't seen before anywhere. It's very unique.

Downsides:

-The place is usually over-crowded in high season, but at least go to see it even if you don't go inside, the outside is worth seeing.

-Price does not include going to the top of the building (+4€)
grandmar grandmar
The Gaudy Church Mar 29, 2008
I was determine to see this church - so much so that when the lines for the hop on-hop off buses were EXTREMELY long, I got impatient and I walked across to the taxi line and got in a cab. My grandson was still in line and wasn't paying attention to what I was going to do, and I had to get out and go back to get him. But we got a cab to the Sagrada Familia church by Gaudi and got there about 11:20.

We started to walk around it, as we had landed at the group entrance to find the individual entrance and where red route bus stop was. The cheapest admission was 15€ each and I thought that was too expensive, so we didn't go in. Although I now see that people with disabilities and or above the 65 plus 1 companion have free admission. Since I am over 65, I might have been able to get in free.

While the church is fantastic and I'm glad I saw it, it is, of course, still under construction. I found the facade color to be kind of grimy - like Baltimore was before they sandblasted years of soot and pollution from the building facades and brought them back to normal.

I had originally thought that the word "gaudy" came from the name of the architect but this is an erroneous explanation of the word origin because "gaudy: dates back to the 16th century and Antoni Gaudi isn't that old.

Gaudi died after getting hit by a trolley car in Barcelona (I think he was walking absent-mindedly), only a few weeks shy of his 74th birthday. The church has a final completion target date of 2026, to mark the 100th anniversary of his passing

Check Barcelona Hotel Deals