La Recoleta Cemetery

1790 Junín, Buenos Aires, Argentina

La Recoleta Cemetery Buenos Aires Reviews

Tinktinkie Tinktink…
La Recoleta Cemetery a must see in Buenos Aires Mar 12, 2010
La Recoleta Cemetery is a very famous cemetery in Buenos Aires,Argentina. It is located in the Recoleta neighbourhood and not very far from the city centre. The idea of visiting a cemetery might not appeal to most people. But this cemetery is so impressive and you could easily walk there for a couple of hours.

In the cemetery you will find graves of some of the most important people in Argentinian history.Presidents, scientist, lawyers and some very rich and wealthy people have been burried there. The most famous grave is that of Eva Peron.

Even though the entrance is free, I do suggest that you buy an information guide to help you locate the tombs. If you cannot speak Spanish and you have no idea about Argentinian history then you will not be able to enjoy the cemetery.

The whole cemetery consists of mausoleums.Each mausoleum has the family name engraved into the marble and brass plaques are added to the front with the details of family members. Interesting that no birth date are engraved.

As I mentioned previously, Evita Peron's body is burried in the Duarte tomb in la Recoleta Cemetery. Her body had been stolen a couple of times and extreme measures have been taken to secure the tomb. Some people say that it is so strong it can withstand a nuclear attack. To the Argentinian people it reflects a fear", they write, "a fear that the body will disappear from the tomb and that the woman, or rather the myth of the woman, will reappear."

I have visited La Recoleta cemetery on a couple of occassions and every time I am overwhelmed by the mystery and history of this cemetery.
Side view of Eva Peron grave.
couchdesurfer says:
Cheers...!
Posted on: Mar 16, 2010
Tinktinkie says:
Hola Carlos, muchisimas gracias!Siempre hay una próxima vez :-)
Posted on: Mar 15, 2010
couchdesurfer says:
Congratulations! keep us updated... Cheers
Posted on: Mar 14, 2010
binky binky
La Recoleta Jul 23, 2008
La Recoleta Cemetery is located in the Recoleta neighborhood on Buenos Aires. La Recoleta houses gravesites of some of the most affluent people of Buenos Aires including presidents, scientists and some of the wealthiest people of Argentina. One of the most famous graves sites being Eva Peron, which draws quite the crowd daily.

La Recoleta is free to the public and is open from 7:30 – 5:45 Monday - Saturday and 7:00 – 2:30PM on Sundays.

I have to say out of all the places I visited during my visit in Buenos Aires, La Recoleta

was one of my favorite places. Buenos Aires can be quite hectic at times and this was my quiet little haven while visiting. I went three times during my short visit in Argentina. I would definitely recommend going here, but set at least 2 to 3 hours aside as there is a lot to see and it is easy to get lost amid the grave sites.

The statues are absolutely beautiful and there are a group of about 75 cats that reside there. Some of them are friendly and will even let you pet them! Enjoy!
La Recoleta
kerryandandrei kerryand…
Jun 22, 2006
We went on a tour of this famousCemetary in BA on Thursday at 11am when there is an English tour. Our tour guide was excellent, her name was Florencia (i think that was it anyway) and she was so knowledgable and had a great personality. I would definitley recommend going, she only works on Thursdays. The tour was free (apaer from a tip at the end) and lasted about 2 hours - she liked to talk!

We also went to see a Tango show in Cafe Tortoni, which was also great - very intimate and only 30 pesos each. Maybe not as much dancing as other shows but it was a fraxction of the price. The food there is not all that great though so maybe eat before hand.

Related Travel Blogs About La Recoleta Cemetery

One Final Day in Prague
  Today was our final full day in Prague before catching our flight the next morning at around 9:30.  We planned on covering a lot of ground to see the sites we may have missed.  We …La Recoleta in Buenos Aires.  I love the sculptures of old cemeteries because I find the art work beautiful…
Around buenos aires
Recoleta Cemetery Consistently claimed in guidebooks and the like as being the number #1 tourist attraction of Buenos Aires (and final resting place of the late Eva “Evita” Peron in the Familia …Buenos Aires (and final resting place of the late Eva “Evita” Peron in the Familia Duarte sarcophagus) for international visitors, Cementerio De La Recoleta   (Recoleta Cemetery
La Recoleta
Pilar's Church is located in an urban environment of notable natural and cultural values, nextdoor to the Cemetery of the Recoleta and the Cultural Center Recoleta that occupies part of the 18th Cent…La Recoleta, founded in 1822, is one of the most famous in the world. Much to the dismay of Buenos Aires's privileged families, it is the final resting place…

Check Buenos Aires Hotel Deals