La Plaza

Calle Plaza 315, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

La Plaza San Pedro de Atacama Reviews

sweettangerine sweettan…
An endless wait! Jul 28, 2011
The only thing that La Plaza really has going for it, is its splendid location on the main square of San Pedro (free Wi-Fi!) and a wonderful view on the beautiful Adobe church.

The restaurant has a pretty arcade right next to the square and as the sun was out, all tables were taken. There is an open courtyard in the back too, which was also very full. Luckily we could join a table of friends we were travelling with.

The menu offered plenty of choices and the food of those people eating around us looked quite nice too.

I ordered vegetable soup and a fresh fruit juice. At first, service started out really well. Among the choices for the fruit juice was "pepino dulce" and since I had no idea what it was, the waiter was kind enough to go and get a fruit from the kitchen to show what it looked like.

But soup is another story. After about half an hour, our table mates' food arrived, but no soup yet. I was not worried yet, as we had ordered a little later than our company. But when half an hour later (that is after waiting a full hour) there still was no soup, I decided to ask the waiter and it turned out he or the kitchen had completely forgotten our order!

We would expect to get our food now fast, but alas, it was again an endless wait. In the meanwhile my table mates had already had their coffee and paid their bill.

Only one and a half hour after ordering, we did get our soups. Sadly they were not worth the wait. My vegetable soup was a tasteless broth with big chunks of vegetables. Ils' mushroom soup looked like a thick porridge and tasted more like mushroom sauce. The sad part however, is that the staff did not even apologize for the delay. In one and a half hour I can cook a fresh pot of soup myself I do not understand that it would take so long to just warm up a bowl!

On top of this all, the bill counted 10% service charge, for service that had been nonexistent.

So we learned that looks can be deceiving. A great location does not always match great service or great food.

Check San Pedro de Atacama Hotel Deals