La Paradeta

932 681 939

La Paradeta Barcelona Reviews

Oh-Barcelona Oh-Barce…
A seafood lover's dream! Jan 19, 2010
What a waste! 5 years in Barcelona without having discovered this restaurant and it’s a true gem.

The principal of La Paradeta is simple. It’s all about seafood: fresh, quality seafood caught by the restaurant’s own boat and then displayed as if in a fish market, ready for you to choose exactly what and how much you want to eat. It’s a bit like being in La Boquería but without the wait before you can start eating and the great thing is that you really see the quality of what you are buying.

The restaurant itself is of the relaxed café-style that the Spanish and Catalans do so well. Having no waiters and owning their own fishing boat means that they are able to cut some of the cost out of the process. So the pricing is very, very reasonable and very fair as you pay by weight.

It may have taken me 5 years to visit La Paradeta but the same cannot be said of the local population. The place gets busy, and early. The good thing is that the queues move fast, with plenty of tables inside and a buzzing but relaxed atmosphere that wants to make you keep going for the evening rather than slip into a carb-induced food coma.

So I think you get it. I am a total convert to the cult of La Paradeta and if you get a chance to pay a visit, I have no doubt that you will end up as one too.

jteddyb jteddyb
Oct 03, 2007
La Paradeta is a restaurant in Barcelona's Born/Ribera neighborhood where seafood fantasies come true. I love seafood. I salivate while imagining large quantities of fresh seafood, washed down by white wine. Mmm, seafooooood. Mmm, wiiiine. *drools*

Forgive the Homer Simpson moment there. I was just recalling the two dinners I had at La Paradeta. The value makes the food even better. For 20 or 30 euros per person, you can get a feast that includes massive amounts of mussels, shrimp, crawfish, crab, tuna steak, scallops, squid, octopus, AND lobster ... and don't forget the white wine!

How do they do it at that price? Well, they have their system all worked out. When you enter the restaurant, you go up to the counter (see pic) and tell the fishmongers what you want to eat and how many people are going to eat what. You also order your wine, bread, salad, and other accompaniments. Then you pay and they give you a number. As your food is prepared, they will call your number over a microphone, then you go up to the window and pick it up. They will clean up after you, but that's it. Since there are no waiters (and not much atmosphere), they can pass the savings along to you. Just be sure to pick up plenty of those moist lemon towelettes to clean up with!

This restaurant is very popular, so you will probably have to wait a while for a table. Show up at least a half hour before you plan to eat. But for me, a feast like this, at this price, is well worth it. My dinner companions and I were gasping, sighing, and invoking the name of God to describe the quality and quantity of what we ate that night. Be aware as well that selection can vary depending on what was caught that day, so it's possible that not everything will be available.
We just killed another plate.
Here's how it works: choices, choi…
That's an aphrodisiac, you know. ;)
alicegourmet says:
Ohhhh....I'm a #1 seafood lover! Used to have lots of seafood when I was living in Hong Kong...Yum-o-licious!
Posted on: Apr 15, 2008
hdichter says:
lots of seafood? I wanna go!
Posted on: Oct 18, 2007