La Paisana

998-709714

La Paisana Lima Reviews

yadilitta yadilitta
All the flavor of the North at La Paisana Oct 04, 2009
When I was working for another company, my exboss (who's from the north) used to go to this place very often and always told me how great it was. Actually, I think once we went there...

I used to live nearby, but wasn't interested in try it until I moved far away and saw in a tv show what delicious food they offer. They were present at the Food Festival and I had really tasty "tamalitos verdes", which are green tamales. Green because of the cilantro. The corn they used was so fresh and sweet, but not American sweet corn. Also the sauce was delicious.

So, when Dan and David where in town and we were about leaving the market, I knew we should go there. So good, I got a map with the directions otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to find them. They have 2 locations, both small and not pretentious at all, just the 1st floor or 2 houses located in a residential neighborhood.

Tables are simple and the kitchen is next to them, so you can see how they cook everything. It's owned by a couple from the north. He's the cashier and she is supervising the kitchen, but her brother is cooking. Everywhere you can find handicrafts or pictures from the north, besides some with the famous chef Gaston or at the Food Festival.

The menu is not wide. They just offer food from the north of the country, Piura. We got the tamalitos as appetizer and then asked for the "seco de chavelo" - salty meat on top of mashed plantains with pork. It was delicious!!!

Other day I went with another TB (BiG) and we got the Majarisco which consists on seafood on top of a bed of mashed plantains. Very, very tasty (mouth watering)

The moment you sit down, they will give you complimentary chifles (banana chips) and canchita (toasted corn). The chifles here are ones of the best I've ever tried. If you ask for aji, be careful! The chopped chili is super spicy!!! I lost the sensation in my lips for a while, hahaha.

Service is great. The waiters were very helpful and ready to answer all my questions. Also they were so patient when we stayed until past 4pm. The owner is very kind too. It's a family run business and is nice to see how everyone works happy together.

Regarding the prices, this place isn't cheap. Specially considering the location, you'll think prices would be much lower. But portions are huge. The smallest portion - which is actually a platter - can feed 3 people easily.

Notes:

They don't take credit cards.

Don't feel ashamed to ask for a doggy bag, everyone does it :P
outside Paisana 2