La Nafoura

Hamamm Sousse, Port el Kantaoui, Tunisia

La Nafoura Port el Kantaoui Reviews

MetalJo MetalJo
Great Food At Great Value! Jun 21, 2009
“We’re not hungry just yet, but we might come back later!” I reeled off my standard response for the umpteenth time that evening.

The countless waiters-cum-salesmen from the myriad restaurants bordering Port El Kantaoui’s square might test your patience to the limit, particularly if you’re just passing by when they launch into their ultra-pushy pitch – but their low-paid, 12-hour days must prove far from easy, particularly in the face of such stiff competition.

“No problem, that’s fine!” came the light-hearted – and quite startling – reply. “Just remember me, the handsome waiter, when you come back!”

La Nafoura’s ‘star’ waiter wasn’t at all pushy. Nor sleazy and full of false compliments. Nor egotistical, his quip coming across as humorous and mild-mannered rather than as a boast. So effective was he that even my boyfriend was instantly won over!

Most of the restaurants we stopped at offered very similar menus - lots of pizza, lots of pasta, lots of burger-and-fries options and a few Tunisian dishes – at similar, very reasonable prices. La Nafoura was no exception. Nor was it the only restaurant to offer a free starter and free dessert – but its freebies would have been worth every dinar, had we had to pay!

Our starter comprised of warm, freshly baked tabouna bread, olives, mini-sized briq and a range of dips. Delicious! We hungrily devoured the lot – then, as our main courses arrived, realised with dismay that we were already quite full…

Having ordered a chicken doner kebab, I naively expected a filled pitta bread resembling the London equivalent. Wrong! A seemingly vast square plate arrived laden with mounds of meat, chips and salad. It all tasted fabulous – but I knew from the offset that there was no way I could plough through more than a fraction of it.

Similarly, my boyfriend’s seafood pizza proved extremely tasty (of course I sampled some!), but he struggled through around two-thirds of it before admitting defeat and twisting my arm into asking whether we’d be able to take our leftovers away with us (fortunately we were!)

Having drained my glass of Sex In A Room (vodka, peach schnapps and I forget what else) and sharing a super-sized vessel of what seems to be Tunisians’ favourite beer, Celtia, free though it was, we were both resigned to skipping dessert – but it was served to us regardless. Fear turned to relief when we saw it consisted of two scoops of lemon sorbet!

Besides the food proving great value for money, the service was efficient and friendly, the waiters engaging in amusing banter both with each other and with diners. Their approach certainly seemed to work; the couple seated at the next table were returning for the fifth time in a week – and the second time that day!

So would we have returned too? If it hadn’t been our last night, quite possibly!
lorrainegrant lorraine…
Affordable, Friendly and Fabulous Food. Apr 20, 2008
Fantastic food in a friendly atmosphere. What more could you ask for. Great view of the top attraction in the Port. Staff could not have been nicer. Once you dine here you are sure to become a regular. Staff speak in several languages so don't be shy. Talk to them, become their friend and remember to leave a nice tip. They get paid buttons and deserve so much more.
Fountain with restaurant in backgr…
Friendly faces greet you every tim…

Check Port el Kantaoui Hotel Deals