La Mère Jouvenceaux

03 85 75 00 51

La Mère Jouvenceaux Louhans Reviews

bernard69 bernard69
FOR THE CULINARY SPECIALITY: THE CALF'S HEAD! Sep 23, 2010
After a gourmet dinner and a copious breakfast in "Aux Terrasses" in Tournus,we crossed the river Sâone to reach the Burgundian Bresse,an area rich in culinary specialities such as the famous Bresse poultry, to visit its capital Louhans where every Monday is held a busy market drawing outlookers and customers.

Most of the local restaurants are closed on Sundays and finally at random, we entered this unpretentious,simple, outdated and crowded brasserie restaurant where the service was a bit long.Not starving,we had only a main course:Danielle had an average Bresse chicken, of course with a sauce with cream(people there like in Normandy use tons of cream) and I had a speciality usually eaten in the Monday's market before noon,one of the fav dishes of the French politician Jacques Chirac,usually served with a sauce gribiche or sauce vinaigrette...a calf's head served with boiled potatoes in a homemade sauce with cream.It was quite tasty but I was sorry about those made often on special occasions by my dead mother...

We shared a simple fruit salad.

As we were in Burgundy,we washed our lunch with a jug of red Côtes du Rhône!
poster of the restaurant