La Merenda

4 rue Raoul Bosio (formerly rue Terrasse), Nice, France

La Merenda Nice Reviews

Octravelguy77 Octravel…
Real Nicoise Cuisine at its Best May 17, 2011
When I visiting Nice, I kept hearing how I had to try La Merenda. Despite the inconvenience and quirks that come with the restaurant, it is well worth the wait and definitely a restaurant you'll want to try if you're in town. La Merenda doesn't have a phone so you can't call to make reservations. You literally have to stop by twice to enjoy the experience. Once to make a reservation and right back to enjoy the food. Also, they're not open on the weekends. Yes, they don't take phone reservations and they're not open on Sat or Sun.

La Merenda is owned and operated by Dominique le Stanc, the former chef at Chantecler Restaurant in the Negresco Hotel along the Promenade Des Anglais. He's an award winning, Michelin starred chef that left behind the elegant, stylish fine dining of the Negresco Hotel to do his own thing in a completely unpretentious and simple setting. The restaurant seats no more than 30 on uncomfy bar stools and tightly packed tables in a small dining room but the food is still amazing, world class and unbelievably well priced.

I ordered the Beignets de Fleurs de Courgettes (lightly battered zucchini flowers) not knowing what I had even ordered while my friend opted for the Pâtes au pistou (a simple pesto pasta dish) to start. I don't even care for vegetables but it's made in such a light, tasty manner that I didn't even notice or care what I was eating. Moving to the entree, I went with the Tete de Veau Sauce Gribiche (veal head) again not really knowing what I had gotten my self into. Now this was the highlight for me. Tender and flavorful. My friend went with the Daube de Boeuf à la Provençale which was good but I wouldn't consider mind blowing. We both ordered the same chocolate dessert. Again good but not great. I had a beer, he had a glass of house wine. Total came to a very fair 71 € and oh yeah, no credit cards, cash only.

Go early or a day before to make reservations. Remember cash only. It's an experience in itself and most would agree, something you'd want to try if you're in Nice.
travelmaniac06 says:
went to la merenda on your recommendation. There is nothing special about this restaurant. There are lots of nice restaurant around.
You sound like a professional writer working for the restaurant. what a shame
Posted on: Sep 18, 2012
marvin_tpr marvin_t…
Stunning Niçoise Nov 03, 2009
No phone, no credit cards, no fixed menu, no wine list. Sounds scary, doesn't it?

But I would visit Nice just because of La Merenda. Dominique Le Stanc (former Le Chantecler's chef) is running his own place. For a modest 100 EUR you can get a superb Niçoise dinner for two. No strangers here.

Mon-Fri seatings at 7:15 and 9:15pm

Book your table the same day.

Check Nice Hotel Deals