La Golondrina

La Golondrina - Inside seating at La Golondrina

La Golondrina Los Angeles Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
Exceptional Mexican cuisine at La Golondrina Oct 25, 2010
When I'm near Olvera Street I try to have a meal at La Golondrina. The food here is as authentic California Mexican as it can be. La Golondrina has been serving since 1924. You'll find many unusual as well as typical dishes here.

When I came for dinner on Monday evening, I found the Olvera Street Day of the Dead ceremony was in progress right in front of the restaurant. Thus, I ate a bit later than expected. I selected the Enchiladas de Mole. (I'm a fan of mole sauce and it's not often found in Mexican restaurants in the USA.)

The Enchiladas de Mole included a Chicken and a Cheese Enchilada with rice and a whole jalapeƱo. The enchiladas were served smothered in a delicious mole sauce. Oh, wow! On the side was a dish of whipped beans. These were frijoles as I had never encountered them elsewhere: whipped to a fluffy and light consistency, like whipped potatoes. I had a slice of Flan for dessert.

Corn chips and a chunky salsa were served before the meal.

The are many other interesting selections on the menu. The waiter suggested I try Conchita Pibil (marinated pork served in a banana leaf)next time.

La Golondrina has outside seating, where one can watch the passing crowds on Olvera Street, or inside seating.
La Golondrina restaurant on Olvera…
Enchiladas de Mole at La Golondrina