La Ferme des Bisons

Recogne - (B-6600 Bastogne), Recogne, Belgium - +32 (0)61 21 06 40

La Ferme des Bisons Recogne Reviews

misseejjay misseejj…
festival La Ferme des Bisons Aug 30, 2011
The Bison from the Plains is one of my favorite animals. The first one I ever saw was in Yellowstone Park. Not so long ago I found out that there's a Bison Farm in Bastogne, Belgium. Cool ! cuz I didn't have to travel far to see them again. It's officially called La Ferme des Bisons and it's open from early July till the end of August. They open the farm with an annual Festival. The location changes for 2 days into the Wild West with a saloon, BBQ, country music and line dancing. And besides that you can visit a small historic museum.

There are several Native Americans and First Nations People living in Europe and because most of them are traditional dancers, musicians, artists or storytellers, they get invited to festivals like these. That was another reason for me to take the 2 hrs drive into the hills of Wallonie.

The location was well organized with friendly and hospitable people who spoke Dutch, German and French. The prices for food and drinks were average. Good Western & Country musicians and enough space to dance in the saloon. The (international) public also was very friendly which gave me a safe feeling.

There was a powwow in the afternoon and I was curious how they would do that with just 3 Native dancers and hundreds of Europeans. And I must say they did a good job. Kendall Old Elk (Crow from Montana) explained the many different dances during a powwow and the rules when attending one. Then he invited several people to do a round dance. Since he's living for quite some time in Europe he also knew some of our dances and he mixed them together so that people would loosen up. No need to say that his humor did the rest.

Murry Small Leg (Blackfoot from Saskatchewan) crafts work was an eye catcher. You don't often see an artist at work. He was making arrow points used in a necklace. And last but not least Jim Poitras (Lakota/Cree from Alberta) who was an interesting storyteller and good dancer.

I had a wonderful day and met many kind people but I'll NEVER will eat Bison meat.
Coco in his paddock. He joined the…

Compare Saint-Hubert Hotel Rates (11.2km away)

La Ferme des Bisons Map