La Farine French Bakery

www.lafarine.com - (510) 531-7750

La Farine French Bakery Berkeley Reviews

joeytuan joeytuan
Mar 15, 2006
Whenever I'm in Berkeley,I come here a few times a week. What's really cool about it is the transparency factor: the back room is plainly visible, with 5 apron-cladbakers laboring over every inch of to-be-served pastries and cakes throughout the day.This bakery has an authenticFrench feel to it, with many customerslining up in the morningto choose from a dozen or so different types ofpastries and breads, including can't-missbaguettes. I recommend both the rustic and sweet baguettes. Granted, you can get them for about a quarter in France vs. $2 here, but hey who's countin? Some of my favorite sweets are the fruit tart, eclair (really rich cream),morningbun (legendary guy that started it all), and the swiss twinkie (super flakywith nut puree).The only place to sit is a huge dining table,finishing off the homey feel. Bon apetit!
Eric Eric
Dec 06, 2005
Definitely one of the best bakeries I have been to in Berkeley. The Chocolatine (kind of like a square croissant filled with chocolate) is really good. The Morning Buns are good if they are fresh, but they tend to have too much sugar. The Swiss Twinkie is one of my favorites. It is a small, flaky croissant with a nut filling. In fact, it is so flaky that while I ate it almost half of it fell off into a small, sad pile by my feet, but the portion that did make it into my mouth was delicious. The bakery is also located on Solano Ave., which is a lively street with lots of shops and restaurants.

Check Berkeley Hotel Deals