La Cueva de la Pileta

3 Ctra. Benaojan - Ronda, Benaojan, Spain

La Cueva de la Pileta Benaojan Reviews

davidx davidx
Scenically and archaeologically great Nov 10, 2010
I went to this cave with a friend in 1990 and we ahd little idea what to expect. We were staying at Jimera de la Frontiera and travelled by train ( a beautiful journey in its own right) to Benaojan, the stop before Ronda.

We managed not to find the path recommended by the Rough Guide. I called out to a boy and tried to ask him in Spanish. he fled, as we thought because of my bad Spanish. His mother appeared, established that we were English and spoke to us in slightly accented English, directing us up through the village to a major(ish) road. I expect there are better directions now but then it was not obvious where we had to leave the road. We finally arrived to find the cave wel and truly shut.

We sat down to eat our picnic and heard voices behind us. It was the lady who had directed us and her son, who had run away. We discovered he had not fled because of my bad Spanish but because I spoke in Spanish at all. They had only recently moved from Wales and the boy only spoke English. His mother was French and her husband was going to start hot air ballooning in the region.

Just after they left we saw a man approaching from the only house in sight and we waited in the hope that he might be a guide. He was.

The cave had no lights and the guide issued us with torches and used an oil lamp himself. The cave system was terrific but the principal sight was of cave at - hores and bison painted 25000 years back and thus older than a number of better known paintings in Spain and France.
davidx says:
I cannot be sure, since I have only been the once, but nothing on a Google search suggested it.
Posted on: Nov 11, 2010
joehobo says:
Have'nt the Archeology or tourism dept taken over to popularise such a rare find.
Posted on: Nov 10, 2010