Avenida 12 de Octubre y Cordero, Quito, Ecuador
La Choza - La Choza

La Choza Quito Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Smart uptown choice Oct 25, 2012
On our second day out with Betty and Marcello we again planned to have lunch together. Last time we had treated them; this time they wanted to return the favour and brought us to this smart-looking restaurant on a busy street in modern Quito, Avenida 12 de Octubre. In appearance it is the antithesis of cosy Mama Clorinda (where we had eaten with them previously), being a large open dining room with a bustling atmosphere and some beautiful traditional art and decorative touches. But like Mama Clorinda it focuses on Ecuadorean cooking and is very well-established in the city, having been run by three generations of the same family for forty years.

I opted for the llapingachos con fritada – my favourite potato patties here served with fried pork. I loved the patties as I had elsewhere, the egg was nicely fried, and the peanut sauce that came with the dish was good. But I found the pork a little dry and thought the meat had been over-cooked, not for the first time in Ecuador. Chris felt the same about the pork in his traditional platter, which he otherwise enjoyed, but Marcello had the same dish and enthused about the meat, so I am guessing that it must be local taste to serve it so dry, rather than poor cooking skills! Betty’s corvina (sea bass) in coconut sauce looked lovely, as she said it was, and I found myself wishing I’d ordered that ;-) I drank a delicious guanabana juice (another of my favourite Ecuadorean tastes). As our hosts paid I don’t know what the final bill came to, but main courses seemed to be in the region of $10-$20 – quite expensive for Quito.

Overall I enjoyed the meal, and loved the décor, but I’m not sure it’s worth the higher prices when there’s so much good value food in the city.
In La Choza