La Casa Suiza

Los Pinos 451, Huanchaco, Peru
La Casa Suiza - traditional fishing boats, and they really use them :)
La Casa Suiza - traditional fishing boats, and they really use them :)
La Casa Suiza - Rooftop area

Check Huanchaco Hotel Deals

La Casa Suiza Huanchaco Reviews

andrejav andrejav
No Alps, no chocolate Jun 24, 2011
Curb side restaurant dominates entrance to this hostel, and all gringos show up for breakfast in relaxed garden. Casa Suiza is located on the central street that buses and cars take when going into the town. There are other hostels in the row, but my primary option was closed, so I just walked down to the easily recognizable Swiss flag symbol.

Getting in, I had to swirl between tables with my backpack, and drove attention of people trying to save their food from renegade shoes tied on the back of my bag. Receptionist doubling for waiter, busboy, and possibly cook, handled me quickly and nicely, showing few options.

The first room I was shown on the way to second floor (where dorms are) would cost me 40 soles for huge bed private room, which is good deal aside of the fact that room was in some kind of wet corner of the house, and smelled like years of mold enjoyed its walls.

Smooth stairs lead to second floor where most of the dorms are. Door of my dorm was not really what you call secure, or something that can close, and left a bit of a doubt that my stuff will survive there for long because there is no lockers to safeguard your valuables. Room was clean with a bit shaky beds, but nice windows insured lots of natural light, and bathroom was just down the hallway. WiFi is available for free and breakfast is totally ok.

Third floor is in my opinion nicest place to stay at due to terrace and grill located there, and also view of the rooftops is much better than view of the walls. Joking aside, that rooftop is nicely done, with few rooms, nice clean bathrooms-showers and excellent, breezy, shady, well made area (tables and chairs made of concrete are a bit small for my long legs, but I learned how to fit). Grill in the corner is great feature that I am sad that I did not try… Electrified fence on the rooftop terrace was a bit too close for comfort, but if they thing that is safe to have so close to the people seating around… than power to them (electrical)

Location of the hostel is ok due to town being so small, it is not central, but more on the outskirt of the place. Walking around is perfectly safe, and beach is 5 min walk away.

There was simple fact that made me move from this place and that is the price that was double higher than hostel nearby. After first day it become obvious that Casa Suiza is one of the most expensive hostel in town with 20 soles per night (positive comments and name in the most traveling books made them able to raise their price) so I checked the alternatives. I was recommended hostel at the end of the town that is praised as the best place to really chill and enjoy the surfer style living, but did not want to move that far because my bag is not the most comfortable thing to carry. So, I just carried my bag to the cool place that I have seen on the way to the beach, block away from Swiss thing, called My Friend Hostel. Guy working there showed me 5 bed dorm costing only 10 soles per night, which simply could not be beaten...

Hostel is decent option, but due to multiple better options in town I would not recommend it.
Rooftop area
determinada determin…
Yay! Apr 03, 2008
My first night in Huanchaco I made the big mistake of staying at Hospedaje My Friend. Yuck. I walked up the street to La Casa Suiza and made a reservation for the next night. La Casa Suiza is impeccably clean (though the room above the kitchen is prone to ants) and the staff is really friendly.

A dorm bed is 15 soles per person, and does not include breakfast (7 soles). The shared bath is meh, but certainly not the worst i've seen. There is a ground floor patio and a rooftop terrace, a TV lounge and 3 computers for free internet. they also have a book exchange, but it's not great and is a 2 for 1 plus 2 soles deal. the location is great, maybe 3 blocks from the beach.

Definitely the best value in this beach town.
Belluomo Belluomo
Aug 08, 2007
This hostel was once run by a Swiss couple but the only evidence of that presence is the red cross outside the building. The new owner is Peruvian and the place has become quite run down. My room was the low point of the hostel. The walls were stained and filthy and there were even dubious flecks on them. The sheets emitted a terrible odor that not even the open window could fix.

On the plus side, there is a fireplace and tables up on the roof that seems like it would be convivial if there were more guests staying there. There is wireless internet and the reception area is nice.

To their credit, they were painting and doing extensive renovation on the first floor bathroom while I was there. So maybe hold your breath and see if they are going to renovate the rooms and launder the linen better too.

All in all, a mediocre place, but maybe be looking back up...

Check Huanchaco Hotel Deals