La Boca del Lobo

+593 - 2 - 2545 500 / 2527 915

La Boca del Lobo Quito Reviews

dyevushka dyevushka
FUN & QUIRKY but NOT cheap Aug 13, 2010
I always love my visits to La Boca del Lobo. Their sense of quirky style (a tree growing in the middle of one room) and decor (Vodka bottles, glass, more colors than an eye can take in) somehow manages to mix a gypsy feel with class. The food isn't cheap, but the tapas are delicious and really fun to mix and share with friends. My favorite is the fried zucchini with Parmesan! Only half a block from the main square of the Mariscal, it's in a very convenient location as well. Although it is slightly pricey, you should definitely visit at least once while you are in town!!
yadilitta yadilitta
Funky, Glittery, fun restaurant at La Mariscal - La Boca del Lobo Aug 17, 2009
One friend told me I should try this glittery and trendy restaurant. Another one did it so too, but both of them warned me this place wasn't cheap.

When I fist saw it, I knew I HAD TO go there, which one would be a better occasion than our last dinner in town? It's not necessary to make a reservation, but would be better to do it, so you get a table with a great view and this place is in fashion so tends to get crowded by tourists and locals on the weekends.

The place's decoration is definitely something. Impossible not to notice the colorful building from the street. It's an old house, which has bright colors, but not a solid one. Different parts of the building have different colors each. Furthermore, a wall had been replaced but a big glass with some drawings.

Now, inside the funky and cool decoration is present in every environment. Cool vodka's bottles with glittery outfits. Since the name of the place is Wolf's mouth, you'll find little lambs everywhere, next to the bottles or painted on the ceilings. Lamps are bird cages and old pieces of furniture were painted with bright and fun colors, how fun!

There are some smaller rooms, perfect for private parties. Anywhere you go, you'll find lots of colors and cool design. This place reminded me a lot to Palermo Soho in Buenos Aires.

Even the menu is sort of funky. It was a big metal book. Maybe too big. It was a bit uncomfortable for us to read it some times. Well, that wasn't a problem, the problem was that the dishes weren't written in order, which made the decision even harder, besides everything looked delicious.

Well, now the review of the food. The whole restaurant is trendy and so their dishes with funny names. There were so many things to choose.

There is a decent selection of wines and nice cocktails, but we got juices. They were big and tasty, even their presentation was so nice. They don't have solid color, but the different colors of the fruits, cool!

As appetizer we got:

Julius Verne Carpaccio - octopus covered with rucula leaves, olive oil, pepper, roaste almonds, Parmesan cheese and ishpingo (a local spicy). Octopus wasn't chewy at all and the almonds and olive were the perfect match. Price was US$ 6,90

Kinder Surprise Yuquitas - Yuca croquettes stuffed with garlic shrimp, Ricotta cheese and red pepper covered with Parmesan cheese. Stuffed yucas are very popular, but usually stuffed with cheese. This innovation was so tasty. The Ricotta cheese gives it a special flavor. Price was US$6; &

Cabrini Mushrooms: stuffed with basil, spinach, goat cheese, Parmesan cheese and sun dried tomatoes. Dressed with white wine sauce. The goat cheese, basil and sun dried tomatoes were a perfect match! Price was: US$ 7,90

As entrées we got:

-Moussaka kan: tempura eggplant slices, pomodoro, mozzarella au gratin served with rucula and mushroom salad. Great innovation of the clasic moussaka. There was a lot of cheese which gave extra texture and the idea of a fresh salad was very good, so it wouldn't be so heavy.

-Million Dollar Baby: stuffed mussels with spinach, tomatoes au cognac, yogurt and Gruyère cheese, served over mashed potatoes. Mussels were fresh and tasty. Personally I found the mashed potatoes too much. Price US$ 7,90

Desserts:

-Orange crepe: light crepe with Orange jam, served with vanilla ice cream. It's sweet but not too heavy. Well, if you don't eat much of the ice cream. Served perfectly warm.

-Bananarama: like a basket stuffed with banana chunks, cream caramel and covered with chocolate. As side you get a shot of whipped cream and cream caramel.

-Pineapple dessert: forgot the name! It's served in a small warm pan. A light crepe filled with pineapple chunks, fresh berries with crème pâtissière and toasted almonds.

Service was very good. The waiters take good care of you and are polite and helpful.

As you could see, location is great, cool atmosphere, tasty food and kind service. Prices are not cheap but not that expensive either. What are you waiting for to try it? No regrets. Trust me!
cool building
La Boca del Lobo = Wolf's mouth
nice atmosphere
Julius Verne Carpaccio
yadilitta says:
sorry about that. Yes, prices are high and food might be overrated, but the decor is awesome. I loved the atmosphere. I think this is more about the whole experience ;)
Posted on: Feb 18, 2010
Laurrra says:
I wanted to go there the whole time I was living in Quito. When I finally went, I was disappointed! I agree that octopus carpaccio was great but in general I preferred many other places in Quito over Boca del Lobo. However, the decor is awesome.
Posted on: Feb 17, 2010
yadilitta says:
yes, great food and great location. I think my favorite was the Moussaka :P
Posted on: Aug 31, 2009
xander_van_hoof xander_v…
trendy restaurant that serves great fusion kitchen Jul 27, 2009
You pay 20-25 usd per person but you have a experience in this trendy designer restaurant.

Birdscages are transferred to lamps, color is added eveywhere. Good choice of (lounge)music.

Very nice personel and a kitchen that serves fusion. I have never had such combinations, but the taste is amazing. I had a crepe with chicken with Thai marinade, Yucca and peppers.

The only minor is that they have a small choice of fish (more meat dishes), but the rest is of a high standard.

And the view from the restaurant is entertaining as well.

The menu changes everyday, my number one choice in Mariscal Sucre!

Check Quito Hotel Deals