L.P. Steamers

www.lpsteamers.com - (410) 576-9294

L.P. Steamers Baltimore Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
An Excellent Crab Shack Apr 27, 2011
It may not look like much from the outside, but it's not your typical tourist spot and it provides some local flavor if you're in the mood for steamed crabs, which is the specialty here. They make them year round, which means they are not always a local catch. I asked where the crabs were from when we went in April and was told they came from Texas. This sounded ok to me, and I didn't have a problem with that. You can get a variety of other seafood here too, and they also serve burgers, sandwiches and such. The beer is a reasonable price too.

We went with the jumbo crabs. There is a real technique to opening these guys to extract the edible parts, but the staff is real good about giving lessons on the technique and providing the necessary tools to do so. This was certainly helpful and although it requires some work, you get the hang of it after opening a couple of them. Prepare for it to be a bit messy, but that's part of the fun. While I am no crab connoisseur, I have to say they were quite good. I would recommend 3 or 4 per person, as they are quite large and contain a fair amount of meat.

The place was relatively empty when we went there, but it was some time in-between lunch and dinner. There is an upper deck area to the restaurant too that they serve patrons in the summertime when business gets busy. The decor is fairly rustic and simple for the most part. The tables are large and provide plenty of spreading out space for the crab massacre! I can recommend this place for the crabs at least and some local flavor. Give it a try when you're in Baltimore. It's a bit off the beaten track, but you can get there via water taxi at landing 11 (Tide Point) quite near the Domino Sugar plant. Go up Hull Street, turn right onto Fort Avenue. It's about a 10 minute walk. You can get there via bus too, but I forget the number. We arrived by bus, but left by water taxi.
L.P. Steamers
Simple decor
Upper deck area
There be a mess of crabs here!
spocklogic says:
Thanks to everyone for the congrats, comments & compliments. I appreciate you stopping by... @Andy - Crab season is May to Oct in Maryland, so April was early for local catch, hence crabs from Texas. @Jutta - Glad my review made you hungry. @Dan - Indeed, It's Hammer Time! @Monika&May - Do try it, it's tasty and fun. @Vance - Good thing about portions like this is you don't have to be Shellfish about it, and there's plenty for everyone!
Posted on: Feb 10, 2012