LL Bean Retail Store

95 Main Street, Freeport, ME, USA
www.llbean.com/freeport-me.s… - 800-559-0747, ext. 37222
LL Bean Retail Store - Please be sure you don't get the boot!
LL Bean Retail Store - Canoe see the entrance?
LL Bean Retail Store - The whole gang is together at LL Bean.  From left: Eric (flown in from Ohio), Spencer, Kim and Chip (took train up from Boston).  Only second time in four years that all the kids were together.
LL Bean Retail Store - My favorite department...I'll just take the canoe.
LL Bean Retail Store - Hunting and Fishing entrance to the LL Bean Retail Store
LL Bean Retail Store - One of the alluring lounge areas in the LL Bean Retail Store.

LL Bean Retail Store Freeport Reviews

vances vances
LL Bean Retail Store Mar 24, 2008
A Mecca of a different sort is located just north of Yarmouth in Maine. Freeport is a massive shopping mall disguised as a quaint New England town. There are no rotund enclosures housing a bazillion stores, but every façade along the main drag is a retail shop of one sort or another. This was all caused by Leon Leonwood Bean, who started a retail store in this cozy town in 1912. Leon’s passion for the outdoors and belief that good customer service earned profits led to a New England tradition realized by the magnificent LL Bean Retail Store which anchors downtown Freeport.

I speak of LL Bean from experience because I worked here for several seasons (many moons ago) and it was wonderful. Because customer service is paramount the store has been open 24/7/365 since 1951! There are no locks on the doors and I think they have only closed twice since this policy began: once for the assassination of JFK and the day Leon passed away. The convenient hours are not misleading and you will quickly validate that customer service is top priority should you drop by.

The only problem with working at Bean was the generous employee discount. As a rookie I had to work until 1AM on New Year’s Eve and my wife hung out at the store that night waiting for my shift to end – but kept returning to my register with more purchases until I had a huge mound behind me. To make a long story short, the employee discount made this the most expensive job I ever had! But I will forever cherish memories of associates getting on the intercom with duck calls at midnight to celebrate new year, lol – a really magical place to work. An insider tip here – they serve free coffee after midnight if you are so inclined to visit the store at these late hours.

Returning to the store recently witnessed further expansion to keep in tune with the times. Already massive, the retail store is considerably larger than it was fifteen years ago with a multitude of new facets to entice modern shopping gangs. The trout pond inside the store was formerly the primary attraction, but they have had added a trout aquarium where you can more readily witness all the variations on a fishy theme, spacious lounge areas, and much more.

Need to share that I resisted the temptation to squeeze a picture of someone squeezing the trigger on a rifle they were considering as I waited for my family to regroup by the hunting/fishing entrance, but how this recalled memories of simpler times. These fond reminiscences of days gone by were reinforced by two elderly gentlemen clad head-to-toe in camouflage exiting – the one dude said “well, Will, I think its time we push north”. Obviously two old timers off on an outdoor adventure. Immediately after they exited, a husband and wife entered with a youngster who exclaimed “ I wanna see the fish”. Cannot tell you how much this rekindled my attraction to the vibe of this remarkable store.

L.L.'s Golden Rule

"Sell good merchandise at a reasonable profit, treat your customers like human beings, and they will always come back for more." - Leon Leonwood Bean
Hunting and Fishing entrance to th…
My favorite department...I'll just…
Canoe see the entrance?
One of the alluring lounge areas i…
hummingbird50 says: