2 Rue Petite Fusterie, Avignon, France
04 90 85 87 12

L'Essentiel Avignon Reviews

Wildswan22 Wildswan…
Affordable Fine Dining in Avignon, France Oct 25, 2012
It was a rainy Monday night in Avignon as we explored the streets looking for a restaurant worth remembering.. We had been in town for a few days and so far I had been pretty disappointed in the restaurants and cafes we had eaten in (understatement!) Monday, we soon learned, was a bad night to dine out on the town as most restaurants are closed!

We literally stumbled upon Restaurant L’Essentiel as we were running for shelter, I had read in Trip Advisor that this restaurant was ranked #2 (mixed reviews, now ranked #4) so I was thrilled that it was open. The hostess, Dominque, was standing in the door and was very welcoming (even beaconing). The place was empty and we were seated without a reservation, we were lucky we were early though as the restaurant was soon booked out! Our hostess spoke English well, was charming and genuinely attentive and the food was *excellent*, hands down the best food that we ate in France (and also in Italy for this trip). It’s a fine dining experience that is great value for money!

There is a two set menu to choose from, priced at €29 and €41 and we went with the €41,(a choice of two selections for entrée, main and dessert) we selected both options and shared our dishes –and it was all delicious! Excellent wine selection, great ambience, great service (though they did seemed understaffed at one point). I can’t recommend this restaurant highly enough!

I copied the menu and took photos because we enjoyed our experience there that night so much! :)

- Soft boiled egg with truffle oil, thin codfish puree and summer truffle on slice of grilled bread, or

- Duck foie gras, black olive and lemon jam, tetragonia salad

- Roasted barbarie duck breast with spices, duck juice flavoured with rasteau wine and orange peel, sweet onion tempura, or

- Pan-fried scallops, poultry juice emulsion, light parsnip puree, corn salad flavoured with truffle oil

- Mini-baba flavoured with rum, pinacolada ice cream fresh pineapple and ginger chutney, or

- Marinated strawberries, nantais sweet biscuit mascarpone cheese ice cream, fine vanilla jelly
Great selection of wine
I'm not sure what we were drinking…
Rover57 says:
Nice first up review Tanya, love your work.
Posted on: Oct 26, 2012