L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon @ Four Seasons Hotel

New York, New York

L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon @ Four Seasons Hotel New York Reviews

Mark_Norman Mark_Nor…
L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon - New York Dec 11, 2010
When I knew I would be travelling to New York and finalized booking my ticket I knew that I had to see if I would be able to make a reservation to visit L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon @ the Four Seasons Hotel New York. I was anticipating going to one of his restaurants for some time now since I have so many good things about his cuisine, Joël Robuchon being classified as “ Chef of the century”

I visited the Four Seasons website to find out more about the reservation process, it was last minute but I was hoping that they would have seating for us at the pear wood counter that overlooked the open kitchen. I noticed that on the restaurant website there was a link in which you could complete an online reservation, it was through www.opentable.com. This reservation format is a great format for those on the go, however I do recommend calling in advance before arriving to provide confirmation for the L’Atelier staff. After looking at the online reservation guide I selected my reservation choice and also made a note in the comment section that I would prefer to be seated at the pear wood counter (although it could not be guaranteed)

I arrived in New York at JFK around 6:00PM EST and our reservation was for 8:00PM EST. What other way to begin my first evening in New York! Having friends pick us up at the Airport and a quick drive to their home in Brooklyn we quickly dropped off our bags and changed into our formal attire for the evening. It was approximately 6:45PM and we knew we had to get going, no time for an aperitif prior to leaving.

Once near the hotel I decided to call since we were running a little late, traffic was a little heavy on this December evening. I was assured by the restaurant it was more than fine and that they looked forward to seeing us shortly.

Arriving at the front of the hotel was an impressive display of holiday lights, even more impressive was in the main lobby a huge Christmas tree that illuminated the main entry as well.

We checked out coats and walked up the staircase to the restaurant entry. It was fairly busy, the maître’d mentioned that our seats at the bar were being prepared and asked if we would like to wait in the bar area. The bar area was very busy as well, we looked over the menu however it was in no time that we were approached by a wait staff advising us we were ready to be seated.

We were situated at a corner of the bar, which proved to be appropriate since we were a party of 4. I am sure anyone who has sat at a bar setting knows it is very difficult to converse with many other guests if you are not sitting directly beside them without getting up. The staff did a great job in anticipating this.

Our waiter greeted us with an aperitif and welcomed us to L’Atelier. She was an outstanding waiter, one of my dinner companions mentioned she felt a little intimidated by the restaurant atmosphere…very formal…however our waiter expressed that she should just relax and enjoy, it was a place to have fun!

We all looked over our menus, glancing in the kitchen and wondering what to order. The menu was impressive; I was advised by a good friend of mine prior to visiting that I must try the pomme puree. I glanced at the tasting menu which was being offered, but I decided that it might be more fun to build my own tasting menu. A wonderful option allows you to just do that, small tasting portions or La Carte des Plats en Petites Portions Degustation are offered to those who prefer to try various dishes.

I decided that I would try a total of three small tasting portion dishes, beginning with

LA LANGOUSTINE – Crispy “Nova Scotia”

langoustine papillote

with basil pesto

*This was amazing, 3 out of the 4 of us had to try this dish, and it was so good we wanted to order more! The texture of the langoustine was marshmallow like, perfectly cooked and very flavorful.

LE BAR – Pan seared sea bass with

lemongrass foam and stewed baby

leeks

*Again, very nice perfectly cooked sea bass affectively complimented with the lemongrass foam

LE CAILLE – Free-range caramelized

quail, potato puree with

black truffle

*This was a dish that my server said was one of her favorites; she did not let me down on her recommendation. Actually my friend also mentioned to me that if it was being offered on the menu that I should definitely order this dish. It was incredible; the potato puree with truffles was so light yet so creamy.

My friends ordered various dishes which included:

L'AUBERGINE – Eggplant scented with

cumin, porcini, arugula,

mozzarella, garlic chips

and ham

L’ONGLET – Roasted hanger steak, sautéed

shallots and shishito peppers

We finished the evening off with a round of dessert selections as well, each of us choosing something different so we could all try each selection:

LE TENDANCE CHOCOLAT – Chocolate cream,

bitter chocolate

sorbet, and Oreo

cookies

LA SPHERE – Purple sugar bubble filled

with violet cream, blueberry

sherbet and compote, lemon jam

LA BANANE – Caramelized banana with rum,

milk chocolate mousse, crispy

rice praline, banana cotton

candy

LE SOUFFLE - Orange blossom and Grand

Marnier soufflé served with

stracciatella ice cream

We all were so impressed and felt incredible after leaving having such a great experience. The entire staff at L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon are so wonderful and friendly. I highly recommend visiting the location in the Four Seasons Hotel in New York if you get a chance. I can say from my prior experiences from working in the restaurant industry and dining out on occasion that you can easily spend the same money on rubbish from other so called “fine dining” restaurants as I did on this evening.

You won’t be disappointed. I have nothing but great things to say, I can’t wait to go back perhaps this time for the full tasting menu.
Tasting Menu
AMUSE BOUCHE - Foie Gras sampler w…
L'AUBERGINE - Eggplant scented wit…
LA LANGOUSTINE - Crispy "Nova Scot…
lady75 says:
Nice memories and great review !!
Posted on: Oct 01, 2011