L'Atelier Saint-Germaine de Joel Robuchon, Paris

5, Paris, France

L'Atelier Saint-Germaine de Joel Robuchon, Paris Reviews

TravelLass TravelLa…
Close both eyes to the service and pay a return visit only for the food! May 20, 2013
How can I be in Paris and not dine, at least once, in a Michelin star restaurant!!!

Managed to get a reservation 2 days prior to the evening we wanted to dine there. Off to a good start I thought!

Our dinner reservation was at 8.30pm. We arrived early, gave my name to the door bitch (sorry, I just have to address him by that) but it seems that my reservation wasn't there. He took my name, told us guests were still eating, so we should head to the bar in the hotel next door for drinks and he'll let us know when the table is ready, by 9pm.

I knew that wasn't going to happen as he didn't bother to take down a contact number and I highly doubt he will physically walk to the bar to get us. But I went to the bar for drinks anyway as it was 1 May and there was nowhere else to have a browse while we wait.

Can't remember what time we head back to the restaurant, perhaps 9.30pm, but had to wait by the entrance to try to get attention. After 15 minutes, it was finally our turn. We were shown to 2 seats, side by side, by the side of the restaurant, facing outdoors. Next to us was an Asian couple from Hong Kong. I can't help but wonder if we have been discriminated as the Caucasians get to sit around the counter.

The wait staff was friendly and helpful although seemed awfully busy running about. Took moments to get attention and always being called by another colleague for something.

The decor was open kitchen style, in black (or dark wood) and red. Diners get to admire the chefs at work.

Wasn't a big menu, but with decent selection. One can opt for the degustation menu or ala carte. I opted for ala carte as the main course on the degustation menu was not suited for me. Food was tapas style. I chose foie gras as a starter, smoked salmon as my main, and red wine selected by Joel Robuchon. The foie gras was really creamy but doesn't make you feel sick eating it. The salmon was no ordinary smoked salmon, it was impeccably done, best I've ever had. It came with a fried potato pattie like a hash brown, which was very delicious too. And the wine was really good. Medium to full body. My friend had lamb as main, and it came with the famous creamy mash potato which well deserves its credit as a world famous mash. I don't take lamb but according to my friend it was heavenly.

Taking the recommendation of the wait staff, I ordered a chocolate dessert. I must say it was a good recommendation. I never had a dark chocolate dessert with layers of different chocolate taste and texture to it.

Best meal I had on my trip.
Africancrab says: