L’Ascot

66 Rue Pierre Charron, Paris, France

L’Ascot Paris Reviews

gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Jan 07, 2008
I went to L’Ascot with a couple of colleagues in March 2007. We found the recommendation to this place in an old Pariscope (a free booklet that tells what’s going on in Paris, what to see and do etc). The restaurant is located at 66 Rue Pierre Charron (between Champs-Elysées and George V. We just walked there from our Hilton hotel by the Eiffel tower (see the review) and it didn’t take long…but can you really trust a Norwegian recommendation when it comes to walking and distances? :-)

When we came in the interior didn’t really stand out in any way and it looked like other Parisian restaurants that we have been to. But the service were good and we were greeted and taken to a table and the waiter also noticed that in our group there was a French person…and hence he got a menu in French and we got a menu in English. After the trip to Paris last year my traditional aperitif has become Kir…or Kir Royale. We enjoyed the Kir Royale while looking at the menu. I’m a bit embarrassed to tell what I had….when I travel I do try to be a bit adventurous and try special local delicacies. I did have in mind that I wanted to try out the snails (escargots) but I chickened out by ordering the onion soup. What can I say…I just wanted to have a good safe meal :-) The onion soup was good…but then again I guess it is hard to go really wrong with onion soup in the first place. One of my colleagues did go for the escargots as a starter and it looked pretty good and I did regret my (boring) choice. For the main course I went for lamb carré and it was served with only mashed potatoes. It sounds pretty boring but the taste of the meat and sauce was very good…but the mashed potatoes could have been tastier. We had a very good red wine by the way…I think it was a Bordeaux by the name of Perron.

For the dessert I went for the classical Creme Brulée. I tried to make it at home just a week or two before I left for Paris and I was not sure if I had gotten it right. But judging from what I got at L’Ascot I think I more or less got it right. Creme Brulée is mainly made from eggs, crème, vanilla and sugar…and it makes a great dessert. And the melted sugar on top makes it complete…at least for a guy with a sweet tooth :-) As a conclusion I can say that I would not hesitate to go to L'Ascot again. My colleague took the bill so I'm not sure how much this meal cost us.
Snails