L'Aquarium de Barcelona

www.aquariumbcn.com - 932 21 74 74

L'Aquarium de Barcelona Reviews

jeminigirl jeminigi…
Experience being under the sea - but at a price !!! Jun 07, 2012
We decided to spend a couple of hours here one afternoon to get out of the intense heat. Marketed as one of the biggest aquariums we were interested to find out why. Lots of pictures and banners around were showing that the aquarium had a lot of species to see including sharks - which I suppose are the main attraction for kids and adults alike.

Priced at:

18 euros for adults

13 euros for children 3years - 12 years

15 euros for adults over 60

We were lucky to have a discount voucher which gave us a 2 euro discount on each of our tickets. We were also offered the opportunity to purchase a guide book - we declined due to the cost - I think 5 euros if I remember correctly. I mean surely we could find our own way around without it.

On entering the aquarium we were met by two members of staff who were on hand to take our photograph in between the skeletal jaws of a shark (you could not take your own picture at this point.) Not surprising really when at the end of the tour the photo they produced was on sale for 7 euros.

The aquarium is divided into sections - depicting different seas and oceans from around the world. We started off by viewing the Mediterranean tanks, which incorporated different communities under the sea eg what you would find in caves and crevices, rocky areas, sandy areas, algae communities, a little bit of everything was included and the numbers of species found were mind blowing.

The tropical tanks were next depicting The Great Barrier Reef, The Red sea and The Caribbean sea. This is where we came across our first sharks - to be honest I was highly alarmed at what I saw, a number of smaller sharks were swimming around but there was one shark that was enormous. The information board said that the shark had to constantly be swimming otherwise it would drown, however the size of the shark compared to the size of the tank meant that it was continually swimming around part of a coral reef in a circle - going round and round and round. I think even if the shark wanted to change direction it couldn't as there was jus no room. Personally, Karin and I felt it needed to be in a much bigger tank.

Mini aquariums followed next, these tanks were mainly filled with grasses, camouflaging small sea horses and such like - it was great fun staring into the tank trying to find these little guys!!!

The oceanarium is situated in the middle of the aquarium, its huge and apparently it is the largest one in Europe, according to the facts and figures it measures 36 meters in diameter and is 5 meters in depth and holds a lot of water.

You can either walk through the perspex tunnel or take the moving walkway. Either way the sight is jaw dropping to be within inches of huge sharks and stingrays without getting the slightest bit wet is fab.

It is a great way to educate kids on life in the oceans and how species need protecting. Something that we should all be mindful of, though I do think the admission price is a too expensive especially for the average family and the fact that you have seen everything in about forty five minutes.

Avoid the souvenir shop at all costs, especially if you have kids in tow - prices were astronomical!!

The aquarium also has the following opportunities - providing you are willing to part with your hard earned cash.

Birthday parties - aimed for kids aged 3 - 10 years old, kids get to have their party at the aquarium - duration of 3 hours at 20 euros per child - eeek!!!

Sleeping with sharks - aimed at kids from 8 - 12 years old, basically you get to spend the night in the aquarium learning all about what the sharks get up to throughout the day and night - breakfast is included - price 75 euros per child. Kids will need to provide their own sleepwear, sleeping bag and toiletries.

Diving with sharks - aimed at qualified divers over 18 years of age. Basically participants get to dive in the oceanarium with the sharks and stingrays, you also get to attend a theory class - priced at 300 euros
I found Nemo :)