L'Ambassy

+33 03 83 35 67 95

L'Ambassy Nancy Reviews

planxty planxty
Cosy, central and cheap. Apr 26, 2017
Arriving in Nancy by train in the early evening I had my route to my hotel planned and written down (I cannot manage all this 'phone technology like maps) and had intended to go straight to the hotel, dump the kit and get out and about but, in the words of Robert Burns, "The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley". In my case the plan, such as it was, foundered on the rock of the Ambassy pub and I blame it on Richard Mique. If, like me at that point, you have no idea who M. Mique was, he was the architect of the magnificent Porte Stanislas which forms the basis of another review on this journal. I had stopped to admire his work when my eye was drawn to an establishment literally adjacent proclaiming itself to be Brasserie Ambassy which looked inviting (don't they all?). Well, a quick one wouldn't hurt, would it?

I dragged my little case past a group of younger people outside smoking in the pleasant al fresco area to the front and it was clear from the sweet smell on the air that there was more than Gitanes being smoked there. It is not particularly my gig although I have no problem with it and I merely mention it as if it is not to the reader's liking they may want to swerve this place. It definitely is a "young hangout" although I never felt out of place at all in my several visits, despite my advancing years.

I was just looking for a beer and so ordered a large glass of the "house" lager which turned out to be SAS pils which I had never heard of but subsequent research shows to be from a Belgian brewery dating back to the 16th century. The Belgians know a thing or two about brewing and this was a fine brew which also transpired to be the cheapest beer I drank in Nancy, indeed probably most of France. I really don't know how they can sell it that cheaply.

I have to say that service was a little slow but this is not a criticism of the friendly staff who were going as hard as they could, it was just that the place was absolutely rammed that evening. I suspect it might have been some sort of "student night" or whatever and it also made finding a seat difficult but I managed it eventually which gave me a chance to have a bit of a look round. The word that sprang to mind then, and still does writing this review some months later, is cosy as it really fits the bill. They have sourced some of the comfiest chairs I have ever set my posterior on in a bar and I have been in a few!

In an act of willpower not normally associated with me I left after one but with a mental note to return which I did several times, I really did like this place. My return in the afternoon of the next day found the bar much less crowded but none the less welcoming and I spent some time there doing nothing but drinking my beer and watching the world not so much go by as sit and enjoy themselves as well. There is something about the Ambassy that is just very comfortable, I would say a "je ne sais quoi" and I am going to descend further into this French farce by saying that it has an ambience that most other bars can only aspire to. OK, that is the appalling French nonsense hopefully out of the way.

Back to the logistics and the Ambassy is very clean and tidy, including the "facilities" although they are nothing special, there is a food menu offered and they have "nights" with offers on drinks and various events.

I loved this place then, I do now six months later and with the memories flooding back and, if the "wacky baccy" outside (obviously there is no smoking inside) does not bother the reader then this is a superb place to hang out.

Highly recommended.
starship1 says:
Nice review! Absolutely looks like a homey place. Congrats on this being the featured review of the day, Fergy!
alectrevor says:
Congrats on being featured. All the best.
Paulovic says:
Congrats on being featured today!

Check Nancy Hotel Deals